Ucaflipinliptus !

Stubby

Hi all. New to this part , only been on the saws bit . Anyway I work with my buddie and we get enough wood to keep us going but not enough to sell big time to others . (I do a few pick up loads for friends and thats it ) So We take down a dead standing ucaliptus ( don't know how to spell it ) mid summer . I split and stack the whole thing in my wood store . It is tinder dry, come this winter it still is .. Sooo when it gets cold I burn some . ( open fire ) - - - now I need a new carpet ! Wood buners only ! ! Sorry to all that know this already but I thought cherry was bad ! oK wHY DOES IT SPIT SO BAD - - ANY ONE ?

Good point well made and I do have one . It blocks a lot of the heat and I tend to ignore it normally , only burning ash, elm, some beech ,holme oak( love this one ) and the fast seasoning sycamore . Any way A side interest I have a corck screw splitter ( road towable ) With its own engine ( Honda GX 390 - 13 hp I think ) and an hydraulic 20 ton splitter with an anvil both ends ( so you can go either way ) Its a Chinese splitter that I coverted to road towable with a different set of wheels a suspension. . The corckscrew is faster on easy splitting stuff but it needs a few more dobbins for the tough stuff . Hence the other one .

hi ,

yes it is the oil, it makes bloody awful firewood , its what causes the fires here in Portugal and in Oz.

steve

It makes wondeful firewood. I can't get my hands on enough of the stuff. Burns very hot and very long depending on the species and you won't see the stuff hanging around after being felled around these parts.

The vapour given off is what fuels the fires. What causes them is usually some little scrote with a match who thinks it's fun to set fire to stuff, back burning gone wrong or a careless individual with a stray butt end, spark etc. The vapours are highly combustable but you'll find the same with certain species of conifer. Put a hot dry wind behind it and it's all on for young and old.

The Gum that I burn doesn't spit and thinking about it I've never had any Gum spit. Are you sure that it is thoroughly dry? This stuff can take a couple of years to completely dry out. Even if it does spit, like others have suggested use a fireguard. The wood really is one of the best firewoods you'll find.

you are correct it does give a lot of heat but it takes too long for it to dry so it ends up being burned still slightly green,

and here it is definitely the oil. i will try to find a link i have to a fire brigade video of it showing the oils heating up and spitting out 4.2m to another tree.

steve

"it takes too long for it to dry so it ends up being burned still slightly green"

It's like any wood, it needs to be seasoned so just spend the extra time to dry it properly. If you burn it green then you can only blame yourself.

"here it is definitely the oil"

The oil/vapour still needs an ignition source. The oil itself does not cause the fire.