I always service my saws after use

predator

my hats off to you , but you do need help, try ending the day in a pub and sort the saws in the morning , im sure that there is a name for your compulsive disorder, i hope you wont take offence at my remark but my wife of 28 years 7 mths and 21days has a simular problem:lol: just try chucking the saws in the back of the pickup as a first step, then enter the pub, drink lots, deal with the next day when it happens, how does your wife cope?

Yes but if you have serviced your saw to run at 100% the night before and not running it at 65% because you CBA to service it, then logically you get to the pub earlier.:thumbup1:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you 'non-service' guys say to your staff "dont bother to look after my kit, mate, its just not worth it"?......

Theres a big gap between throwing things on the floor and polishing it for hours. We hit the happy medium. If our kit was permanently broken we would review, You go with what suits you and what you find works the best. :thumbup1:

For daily use, I don't service. I make sure they are dry before they go on the shelf, and if they are crudded up, I blow them out with an airline.

Touch up sharpening is on site with a file - while I am doing this, I check the rails etc.

When I have sufficiently mullered the chain to need proper sharpening (probably about a week of solid work unless I hit dirt), the bar comes off, the covers come off: air filter cleaned out, clutch bearing greased, clutch checked, any obvious odds and sods looked at.

I don't worry about the engine at all. I can hear if it is running lean or idling high, and I simply pick up another saw and put the first on the bench for investigation.

I bet some people spend that much time smoking instead of working each day though,,

Was allways taught to look after stuff when I was young, because if it broke, there wasn't another one comming.

Im from a farming background, same thing. I look after my gear but I have 4 chippers, 3 trucks, 2 stumpers, 40 saws and alot of other gear. Its not a question of if I look after my gear, its finding the when!

I know of a guy who would take the usual plastic leaf rake when the teeth are worn down, and would cut, heat and bend down new teeth. it would take him at least 30 minutes to do it, and it wouldnt last 20% of the time the teeth normally last as they broke off.

The rake new cost 4$.

Worse was the big company that was really tight ass over stupid things. They made it really hard to replace or purchase things. When the guys broke a rake, it could take 2 weeks to get a new one.

I worked out that it was costing them 5 man hours a week in lost time in a crew of 3 guys running a $300,000 epv rig and chipper. all for the lack of a $4 rake.

Its all finding the balance of insuring the gear makes you money but doesnt cost you to much time.

I ALWAYS SERVICE MY SAWS AFTER USE !! DO YOU ???

chain dressed up maybe bar turned dressed oil n fuel refilled & airfilter n saw blown out with airline checked over say 15 mins job done ready on the shelf waiting ready .I get something out of seeing them ready on the shelf is it a man thing lol or just me train spotter syndrome as if i had the money i could easy get carried away buying saws for no reason and tinkering with them etc it addictive even though i dont need a saw i,am alway lurking on ebay its like a drug >> or do i need help lol ???????????

I am with you mate, after every use, may be a little sharpen on the chain if required, i even do the same with my hedge trimmers, wd40 befor and after use, filters cleaned etc. My gear has took alot of saving and hard work to get so i just want to look after them and let them repay me back! :thumbup1:

I am with you mate, after every use, may be a little sharpen on the chain if required, i even do the same with my hedge trimmers, wd40 befor and after use, filters cleaned etc. My gear has took alot of saving and hard work to get so i just want to look after them and let them repay me back! :thumbup1:

thanks i look after my stuff because its all i can afford s/h etc but have saved and saved to get what i have now and lots of tlc should make it last years and be more reliable for me and all i,am doing is looking after my investment etc

I do mine (ground saws) at lunch break while munching on a sandwich or having a smoke but ONLY if it needs it. Chain gets a rub if and when it needs it too, usually once or twice a day depending on quantity of dust, dirt etc round the trees or if i hit something.

climbing saw hardly gets touched because my silky does most of the work unless i am doing dismantles all day every day then i might tinker with it once a week and that too will be at work on my lunch break IF i am on the ground and ONLY if it needs it.

Yes I do, when the saws are used before they go back on the shelf they are cleaned, checked over sharpened greased oiled and when I am happy it goes away ready for the next time. When it's sitting doing nothing any little oil leak will show up and can be sorted before it gets worse. The outcome is my saws last a long time & I dont want or need the latest model & going from past experience the older saws are better in many ways anyway or is that just me?

Yes I do, when the saws are used before they go back on the shelf they are cleaned, checked over sharpened greased oiled and when I am happy it goes away ready for the next time. When it's sitting doing nothing any little oil leak will show up and can be sorted before it gets worse. The outcome is my saws last a long time & I dont want or need the latest model & going from past experience the older saws are better in many ways anyway or is that just me?

I HOPE THE OLD SAWs ARE BETTER

as i picked up from my mates a solo rex chainsaw looks like its never been used its got a bar but no chain and as for compression it scares me its very hard to pull over i bet it sounds nice when running i was stood near his workbench and spotted it under the bench right at the back its like new untouched etc like i said loads of compression i bet its a bugger to start etc i just got to sorce a chain for it etc as the drive sprocket looks massive compared to the modern stuff