Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

Mario, I'd be keen to know what settings your camera is on.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Here's one I posted much earlier already, of Andrew Joslin, illustrator for The Wild Trees by Richard Preston.

Must have been taken with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens I used to have in 2011.

This one was 1/100 sec. ... ISO 800 ... f/3.2 ... 21mm ... hand-held

JoslinD_600.jpghttp:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this thread and im sorely tempted to check out the west coast.

Mario, what time of year is best to visit?

July through September is the least likely for rain or storms.

Personally, I prefer the redwoods best when it's rainy. And October through June is my favorite time of year, especially for the look of the forest and photography. Very quiet as far as visitors.

Lodging is available all year. Parks pretty much open as long as there is not a severe storm event.

Noticed I forgot to post a photo in my 2nd to last reply for some settings mentioned This is that pic of Andrew Joslin in Prairie Creek

JoslinD_600.jpg

... snip .... I'm always interested on the settings and gear used as it helps my own photography when I know what settings other people use. .... snip ...

Something much out of the ordinary for me ... just bought a 1964 to 1971 era Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 lens tonight, with a conversion adaptor for DSLR camera.

Will be weeks until I can take it to the coast redwoods. But either way, this will be an interesting experiment.

Lens_55mm_600.jpg.5f59ce7cb8d5d2f77fafaf03448b61f1.jpg

Used to have a Canon 500 f4 for wildlife work, still kind of regret selling it but wasn't really using it much and I couldn't justify £4000+ sat in the cupboard. Mind you the house contents insurance dropped loads after I sold it!

Heck yes. That kinda glass is usually well outside my budget.

The present Canon 50mm L f/1.2 is $1500 US currency. And good chance I will get one either this autumn or next spring.

But this manual-focus-only vintage 55mm f/1.2 lens only cost me $230 with the adapter yesterday. Found on Craigslist (not sure if you have Craigslist). Can be found on Ebay too. I think this lens and adapter bought separate on Ebay are in the $400 to $500 range combined.

Edmika Canon FL 55mm 1 2 EOS Brass Conversion Kit | eBay

The guy who makes them has little videos, and there's some on Youtube too. Apparently it's barely a 5 minute conversion. Search for "edmike" + lens or camera brand. He does not sell the lenses. Just the adapters.

Oh ... I think the shots have to be done in LIVE VIEW from 30' to infinity or the lens element comes back toward the camera's mirror. But like up close to 30 ft. / 9 meters, it can be view finder or Live View.

And to reiterate ... only manual focus.

There is a focus confirm chip in the adapter, and the camera will beep when the focus is close to where the center focus point is located.

I'm used to the manual focus Mario. Bought a Rokinon 14mm manual focus from Adorama. Great lens for night sky, landscape and interior photography. I'll check out the links but I might have to peruse our equivalent over in NZ (trademe).