unpaid charity work

White Noise

Every now and then a group of us help a local charity out . Helping with deliveries of blankets and clothing to the homeless . I did the soup round the other day and met a guy who lost his home / business and wife because of bad payers . Absolute top guy who's well educated sadly though is now on the special brew . Just makes me think how lucky and fortunate some people are .

Anybody else give there spare time for free ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a reasonable amount of voluntary work, usually very similar type of work to my paid work - for example I occassionally do some work for a local nature reserve, turn up with my strimmers, chainsaws etc and spend a day clearing scrub, coppicing or similar.

It works pretty well, as I chat to the other volunteers and get a few jobs out of it, as they've already seen me work and know me.

Before we had the children, I used to do some canal restoration with one of the regional groups. We went out for a weekend once a month, to various sites across the UK doing anything from scrub clearance to excavating (big toys :biggrin:) to rebuilding locks and bridges in brick, stone and concrete. A good, free, education in basic civil engineering with something worthwhile to show for it.

Alec

Every now and then a group of us help a local charity out . Helping with deliveries of blankets and clothing to the homeless . I did the soup round the other day and met a guy who lost his home / business and wife because of bad payers . Absolute top guy who's well educated sadly though is now on the special brew . Just makes me think how lucky and fortunate some people are .

Anybody else give there spare time for free ?

The homeless need help all seasons and often are like that through no fault of their own. (late bills/stolen property/councils/fraud) Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

I am a operational member of a county search and rescue unit. We get called out by the police to search for vunerable mising people, mainly depondents, dementure suffers and children. We also act as a civil contingincy unit to assist with flooding etc. Im on call 24/7 365 days of the year.

I,ve been involved in a badger group, collecting and rehabilitating injured badgers etc. I've also been a case worker for SSAFA a charity for ex-service personnel, as well as some work with the RSPB. Then I did some volunteer rangering (is that a real word?) on the South Downs. I am currently a volunteer tree warden and also chair of the management commitee of a local pre-school.