Quitting coffee.

skyhuck

I haven't had a coffee for about twenty years . i had the flu one time and it made me feel sick never touched coffee again.

I now drink tea but had to stop taking it in the afternoon as it started to make me feel light headed and weird but ok to take it in the evening.

My blood pressure is ok

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the real question not answered with this thread was, has you Blood pressure returned to normal?. When was the last time you had a complete physical?. Could be more than Coffee causing your higher Blood pressure, although getting off the bean could be a step in the right direction.

easy-lift guy

Good question.

When I took my own blood pressure a couple of years ago and it was was 145/90, looking this up on the net its too hight.

So I went to see my doctor, he told me not to worry as its been that high most of my life, but then I've drunk a lot of coffee most of my life.

So I did not give it much thought, but then I've taken it recently and its been as high as 185/110 and regularly 160/100. Having looked on the net at the causes

of HB I don't really have many of life style issues that are normally associated with HB. Coffee and alcohol are the only things that I think may have an affect.

Since quitting the coffee my BP is still quite high, but I guess it may take time.

I'm going to see my doctor next week, so I'll see what he says.

Good on you Dave. I have heard a number of similar stories, not just coffee related. The lady in the bakers I frequent used to drink about 2 2 litres bottles of diet coke a day. She (and her staff I might add) said she was the moodiest biatch you could ever meet for about a week and a half after stopping.

I like a coffee now and again but I am in Norway atthe moment and they drink far, far too much of the stuff. I have had a couple of cups already today which is unusual for me. My head is pounding and I put it down to Jack Daniels and aquavt from last night. After reading this I realised it is the headiness that comes with too much coffee/caffeine.

Good question.

When I took my own blood pressure a couple of years ago and it was was 145/90, looking this up on the net its too hight.

So I went to see my doctor, he told me not to worry as its been that high most of my life, but then I've drunk a lot of coffee most of my life.

So I did not give it much thought, but then I've taken it recently and its been as high as 185/110 and regularly 160/100. Having looked on the net at the causes

of HB I don't really have many of life style issues that are normally associated with HB. Coffee and alcohol are the only things that I think may have an affect.

Since quitting the coffee my BP is still quite high, but I guess it may take time.

I'm going to see my doctor next week, so I'll see what he says.

Good for you!, I will expect a copy sent to me by pm for further review.

It is possible that this condition normally exist within your family and I would be careful about securing medical opinions from the net other than from an informational standpoint. You MD or a Second opinion should be the final say when it comes to your health.

easy-lift guy

Good for you!, I will expect a copy sent to me by pm for further review.

It is possible that this condition normally exist within your family and I would be careful about securing medical opinions from the net other than from an informational standpoint. You MD or a Second opinion should be the final say when it comes to your health.

easy-lift guy

This a very good point, my father has HB (similar to mine) and his doctor monitors it, he's 70 in March and still working pretty much working full time as a joiner and pretty fit, but he's a bit big around the middle. But he does not know how long his BP has been raised.

My grandfather had HB, he was given tablet's for it which killed him at 59. His HB was caused by an enlarged heart, which was caused by a bad reaction to the vaccination's he was given to go to Africa as a conscript at 19, he was sent home to die, but survived.

BP seems to be a fairly poorly understood thing, only a few years ago 100+your age was considered normal. Now they say anything above 120 is "pre hypertension" and above 145 is HB.

They don't know what causes HB in some people, but the possible affects seem pretty bad, stroke, dementia, heart attack, etc,etc.

So I don't really want to risk it :001_smile:

Well went to see the doctor tonight.

My BP was 161/101, he said thats too high and he wants to find out what the problem is.

So I'm booked in for blood tests, ECG, 24H urine test (I will be given a container in which I have to collect all the urine I produce in 24 hours) and I will wear a BP monitor for 24 hours to see what my BP is through out the day and night.

Kidneys problems seem to be top of his list of probable causes.

I don't think stopping drinking coffee has made any difference, but I'm still clad I've quit and don't miss it.