New log merchants

philg

Anyone done much research about new-comers in their local area. I've been in the game a long, long time:reddy: and things have changed hugely with so many new guys coming into the game and having a go for 12 months give or take,(realise it's not an easy game and do something else) coming in with silly prices to get their name out there then supply shite later in the season.

I've recently had 2 tree surgeons phone me and ask if i'd be willing to take there offcuts as the logging job's not what they expected.

I think it will eventually come full circle and just be a couple of the old faces left in our area you can only supply crap to so many people until theres nobody left as customers. what do you guys(the ones who log for a living that is:001_rolleyes:) reckon.

Thanks Phil.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone done much research about new-comers in their local area. I've been in the game a long, long time:reddy: and things have changed hugely with so many new guys coming into the game and having a go for 12 months give or take,(realise it's not an easy game and do something else) coming in with silly prices to get their name out there then supply shite later in the season.

I've recently had 2 tree surgeons phone me and ask if i'd be willing to take there offcuts as the logging job's not what they expected.

I think it will eventually come full circle and just be a couple of the old faces left in our area you can only supply crap to so many people until theres nobody left as customers. what do you guys(the ones who log for a living that is:001_rolleyes:) reckon.

Thanks Phil.

Hi mate your right there and that's a 1st for me to agree with you Jon

I hope it does as to be blunt I'm sick of all these have a go larrys coming along and tying up loads of wood as findin good cord is gettig jared and harder.

To be honest everyone from local scrap merchant to burger vendor is selling firewood and I've about blown my lid with it

I live off firewood and logging and don't mind sensible competiion but when eeryone and there aunt thinks it's easy dollar and comes in to the game it takes the michael a bit as everyone ends up making less sales,and it just rips the back end out the whole reason I do this.

Rant over now where's my camomile tea before I pop a gasket lol

I hope it does as to be blunt I'm sick of all these have a go larrys coming along and tying up loads of wood as findin good cord is getting harder and harder.

To be honest everyone from local scrap merchant to burger vendor is selling firewood and I've about blown my lid with it

I live off firewood and logging as has my family three generations prior to me and don't mind sensible competiion but when eeryone and there aunt thinks it's easy dollar and comes in to the game it takes the michael a bit as everyone ends up making less sales,and it just rips the back end out the whole reason I do this.

Rant over now where's my camomile tea before I pop a gasket lol

Yes loads of newbies round here , i think that in the last 2 years there are about 22 firewood guys started up in a 20 mile radius plus around 10 that have been going a long time

The thing is they seem to get a grant and turn up with a new prosseser

Its not until you talk to the dealers you find out how many prossesers there is close to you

Phil your right mate, I have only been in the game myself for 4 years but I'm trying bloody hard to make a real go of establishing and growing a firewood business.

There are 3 or 4 new guys local to me starting up this winter, they aren't in it for the long run just boys doing it for beer money. Thats what gets my goat more then anything, the lads in it for a quick dollar are normally the ones charging bugger all. But hey ho, I know my firewood is the best in the area and I charge appropriately. I'm happy with how busy I am.

I've had 12 orders this week, all from new customers. There must be some firewood chaps doing something wrong near me to be loosing that amount of customers. I think customers in my area are sick of getting crap logs and are coming around to the fact that most quality things in life come at a premium.

What we're seeing is only the norm for any market that suddenly increases rapidly in volume, with customers inexperienced in telling good product from bad. With all the stoves going in, volume has to increase and people are trying to take advantage of that.

What'll happen next is normal market dynamics: everyone who wants a stove will have one in a few years and the market for those will be replacements, upgrades from tat to quality, and the odd new build. The vast majority of the customers will be educated about what's good and what's bad, and will shop more carefully. Those who've built up a base of experience, who have developed an efficient operation, and who have a good name will come out on top - they will have a loyal customer base and word-of-mouth will be their main marketing tool. The rest will simply hover round the edges of the market, but won't have the nous to produce the quality product demanded by the customers - they'll only sell to the naive and gullible.

It just needs to settle down over the next 5 to 10 years. In the meantime, we'll all be irritated by Mick and his battered white transit van, selling rubbish for peanuts.