the euro treaty !!

Johny Walker

so were does this leave the uk ? out in the cold or stronger on are own ?:001_smile:,

We were alone in europe once before in 1940. Churchill made the right decision then and Cameron has made the right decision now:thumbup:

Why do we want to shackle ourselves to "partners" who would be quite happy to see the city destroyed by regs and more taxes.

We have become far to dependent on trade with europe and this is used as a lever against us. Time to boost our export efforts further afield and spread the trading risk. The europeans are no longer reliable partners.

I bet the germans wish they could ditch the rest of them.

Imo the euro as it stands will collapse or greece, italy and spain will exit or default by printing money.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC had an interesting and biased slant on their reporting throughout the day yesterday.

The UK is becoming more isolated as a result of the Prime Minister, according to the beeb.

Of course, if being isolated results in being able to manage the monumental fiscal balls up of the last government on our own terms and manage to get the lowest rates for sovereign borrowing enabling us to ride what is inevitably going to be some tougher times, then I'm for isolation.

Germany started this with their insistance on the creation of the Euro and closer integration. Their challenge is they and their partners didn't stick to the rules and then didn't sanction countries that broke the rules.

Ultimately the world markets will decide by downgrading credit ratings on sovereign debt and making current borrowings unsustainable. The markets require clarity and planning. They are getting none of this from Europe currently. The political manouevering is for each country to get the best deal for itself and to also get the culture of the voting public on their side so when they finally give away the family jewels there is an outside chance they'll be re-elected.

In the UK we have a plan, and we're sticking to it. It may not be to everyones taste. If our credit rating slips our borrowing costs go up, (don't forget we are still spending approximately £150billion pounds a year more than we earn in this country as a result of Labours profligate spending to keep them in power, this is the structural deficit), if our borrowing costs go up the money available to this government to spend in this country goes down.

The BBC had an interesting and biased slant on their reporting throughout the day yesterday.

The UK is becoming more isolated as a result of the Prime Minister, according to the beeb.

Of course, if being isolated results in being able to manage the monumental fiscal balls up of the last government on our own terms and manage to get the lowest rates for sovereign borrowing enabling us to ride what is inevitably going to be some tougher times, then I'm for isolation.

Germany started this with their insistance on the creation of the Euro and closer integration. Their challenge is they and their partners didn't stick to the rules and then didn't sanction countries that broke the rules.

Ultimately the world markets will decide by downgrading credit ratings on sovereign debt and making current borrowings unsustainable. The markets require clarity and planning. They are getting none of this from Europe currently. The political manouevering is for each country to get the best deal for itself and to also get the culture of the voting public on their side so when they finally give away the family jewels there is an outside chance they'll be re-elected.

In the UK we have a plan, and we're sticking to it. It may not be to everyones taste. If our credit rating slips our borrowing costs go up, (don't forget we are still spending approximately £150billion pounds a year more than we earn in this country as a result of Labours profligate spending to keep them in power, this is the structural deficit), if our borrowing costs go up the money available to this government to spend in this country goes down.

An excellent post sir - I doubt there will be better on the subject. You should consider a job at The Independent!

All he is doing is trying to defend the banking sector, the very institution that got us in this mess.

Britain has agreed to everything Europe has thrown at it for the last 10 years.

So I understand everyone's excitement at Cameron's refusal to agree, but it simply to little to late.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

Collectively, we allowed ourselves to get into this mess. Granted, the banks made it quite easy for us. let's not lose sight of the fact that we didn't have to extend our mortgages to buy holidays, Christmas, cars, widescreen tv etc.

It's a much deeper issue than just the banking sector. I'm not a fan of them, high street or commercial. They are, however, integral to modern society. They are in need of some humility and until a better system evolves we use them.

As was pointed out, London has something of the order of 40% of stock trading. The tax take on this and the money that is injected back into the economy as income tax and the spending power of the city suits is a big thing.

Collectively, we allowed ourselves to get into this mess. Granted, the banks made it quite easy for us. let's not lose sight of the fact that we didn't have to extend our mortgages to buy holidays, Christmas, cars, widescreen tv etc.

It's a much deeper issue than just the banking sector. I'm not a fan of them, high street or commercial. They are, however, integral to modern society. They are in need of some humility and until a better system evolves we use them.

As was pointed out, London has something of the order of 40% of stock trading. The tax take on this and the money that is injected back into the economy as income tax and the spending power of the city suits is a big thing.

I totally agree :thumbup1:

However I think it was a mistake to bailout the banks, I think the savers should have had their money protected, but then some banks should have been allowed to fail.

The weaker one's would have gone, but many of the others would have found a way to work through it.

I would have liked to see a couple of them go too. It may have made the remainder a little more socially aware. Isn't that how the market is supposed to work? I've yet to see an indication that the tax payer is willing to bail my company out if I put profit and market share above good business practice.

We are where we are however.

Now, if Europe got their collective backsides into gear and the media in general stopped talking up a double dip we may avoid one.

One of the key issues with the EU and particularly the Euro is that it challenges sovereignty, identity and ultimately national pride. Frankly, (pardon the pun), I'm amazed the French were ever steamrollered into it. In my view we, Europeans, are not ready pyschologically for such an integrated society. Even the UK is looking to go its seperate ways internally.

All he is doing is trying to defend the banking sector, the very institution that got us in this mess.

Britain has agreed to everything Europe has thrown at it for the last 10 years.

So I understand everyone's excitement at Cameron's refusal to agree, but it simply to little to late.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

Its not just the banking sector, its the whole financial sector, this is where most of Britain's money comes from. We are net importers of goods and we need to export in order to stay solvent. We export financial services on a massive scale, anything that threatens that could be disastrous for the whole country. Its like trying to get the germans to vote for a windfall tax on manufacturing.

The good thing about financial services is that they still continue in a recession, businesses may stop buying new equipment but its unlikely that they will stop buying insurance.