Mans best friend

welwell

A dog is as good as it`s owner!

It takes many years to train any dog to obey all comands all the time.

I have 2 dogs one is a german shepherd and the other a springer spaniel , both are obedient and i have never had any trouble woth the kids jumping on them or pulling thier tails, but again the kids also have to learn that a dog feels pain and should never be encouraged to hurt them or pester them for ages as with all animals or humans they will snap if pushed had enough it i natural.

I used to take my sringer with me to work all the time and it made training alot easyer as i could do bits now and then .

Easyest way to decide is think could you take Rover for a 30+ minute walk after a long wet, cold day up a tree and your totally knackered theres a good programe on TV you want to watch but Rover needs his walkies!!?

I have lived with dogs all my life and i think i would miss not having one around but sometimes life would be easyer

Good points. Training is so important where dogs mix with people. My mate has quite alot of working dogs and all of them are very well trained. Respect due.

A friend of my dad's told me this story, some of his relatives have a lab and a couple of kids, the dog was fine with kids but one day they heard a scream from the lounge and ran in to find the dog ahd one of the kids by the arm. The dog was just holding the arm and had'nt done any damage, they could'nt understand why it had happened until they discovered a wax crayon sticking out of the dogs arse.:ohmy:

I have two labs one yellow and one black and a king charles spaniel. the kcs i picked as a pup he is my baby used to go everywhere with me he has been to london and he has been on all holidays and he has been down chedar gorge and tin mines and up a lighthouse. my yellow lab used to come to work with me in the woods but this year i will take the black one i work by myself and on a cold winters day sitting by a fire dog beside you sharing your marsbar pure bliss.:001_smile:

A friend of my dad's told me this story, some of his relatives have a lab and a couple of kids, the dog was fine with kids but one day they heard a scream from the lounge and ran in to find the dog ahd one of the kids by the arm. The dog was just holding the arm and had'nt done any damage, they could'nt understand why it had happened until they discovered a wax crayon sticking out of the dogs arse.:ohmy:

Was that at the Tate modern, sounds like another piece by Damien Hirst lol...........

As for breeds for a first timer

I would sugest a lab/ retriever or maybe a cocker spaniel i have never really had any dealings with terriers so i will pass on them.

Breeds to avoid

Collies, Springer Spaniels, German Shepherds, rotwielers, Dobermans, Lurchers, greyhounds, whippits.

I am sure many will shoot me down for the avoid list but for a first time dog i wouldn`t sugest any of these.

Try to find a simple breed or even a mongrel.

As for Puppy or rescue well i will let someone else put comments on this.

Don`t forget most villages or towns have Dog clubs and they are excellent ways of learning the trainning side .

I have two labs one yellow and one black and a king charles spaniel. the kcs i picked as a pup he is my baby used to go everywhere with me he has been to london and he has been on all holidays and he has been down chedar gorge and tin mines and up a lighthouse. my yellow lab used to come to work with me in the woods but this year i will take the black one i work by myself and on a cold winters day sitting by a fire dog beside you sharing your marsbar pure bliss.:001_smile:
absolutely!! i had a black lab for 12 yrs up the wood with me along with my last border terrier,both sadly passed on now,but i'm re-living it now with my border pup and the missus chocolate lab,he's thick as **** but we still love him,happy days :001_smile:

Woh woh woh, me and you could fall out Mr Stoxs :001_tongue:

My two Springers put other dogs obedience to shame, but it's all in the handler not the dog.

Any dog can be obedient, it's the handlers that need the training

Dean , that is exactlly why i put springer spaniels in the list to avoid for a FIRST TIME dog owner.

I to own a springer spaniel and also have her trained to a high standard but it has taken alot of time and hard work to achieve this and also all my knowledge of owning dogs for 20 years.

I have seen way to many dam good springers go gaa gaa in the head by untrained owners not having a clue what to do with them!!!

Dean , that is exactlly why i put springer spaniels in the list to avoid for a FIRST TIME dog owner.

I to own a springer spaniel and also have her trained to a high standard but it has taken alot of time and hard work to achieve this and also all my knowledge of owning dogs for 20 years.

I have seen way to many dam good springers go gaa gaa in the head by untrained owners not having a clue what to do with them!!!

Your spot on mate, I nearly took another on last year after warning someone not to get this ESS pup. They went ahead, got it and gave up after 4 weeks when it chewed her shoes. I even offered to train with her if she would keep it on.

She gave up and gave it to some other plonker without a clue