planning contravention notice

grahamc

Councils are skint and people are looking to justify their jobs. My suggestion would be check out how sound your situation is and try and make it as water tight as possible. Then fight it! It'll get passed to the legal department of the council and they'll see the money it'll cost them to fight it and hopefully see sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you farm , rent or own at least 12.5 acres you do not need planning permission to erect a barn providing it is less than 465 sq mts and is not within 90 mts of another building which has been erected within the last two years and it is for agricultural purpose, eg storage of machinery and foodstuff. There is other criteria but the above are the starting block.

The relevant form is 'Application of prior notification of agricultural or forestry development - proposed building. Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order 1995, schedule 2 parts 6 & 7'. It normally costs £70 but this varies between LPA's.

I have been there done it got the barn (when I finish building it).

Have just been served with a planning contravention notice and was wondering if there was anyone out there who has been placed in a similar position. Am a tree surgeon with a small farmyard, with an agricultural holding number, totalling about 40 acres over 3 blocks of land. Since last year, have increased the volume of firewood that I sell. I now dry our own processed logs down in 2 polytunnels, and buy in some pre-processed / dried timber for immediate resale. Nobody is employed in the firewood side of the business, and any chainsaw work is kept to a minimum. On saturday was served a planning contravention notice, giving me 21 days to respond to questions raised about specific work I carry out. The notice is served on me because of " Unauthorised change of use of land and buildings from agriculture to a mixed use of B2 ( log sawing place ) and B8 storage ( namely the storage of timber / logs ). Just wondered if any of you have been in a similar situation, and what the outcome was.

I think the problem is the timber you buy in, I very much doubt they can stop you selling timber grown and processed on your own land assuming that is what you do. If the timber you convert to firewood is 'bought in' then you are a retailer and of course this is not agricultural.

I believe the best piece of advice you have had so far is do not reply until you have spoken to some one who knows the facts about these situations rather than guess.

I'd wonder if it's worth giving the planning office a ring and asking to chat to someone about what they are concerned about and the how's and why's of this?

In my past life I went bull-headed at the local planners over expansion and ended up with strings of rejections, made the ultimate faux pas of storming into the planning offices and shouting out "Just tell me who the eff to bribe' - none of which got me anywhere until a close friend in the planning game went in and had a long chat with the department and soothed and smoothed things over.

This time around with my new hobby farm I rang the local planners and had several chats about what I wanted to achieve and why - all advisory as to whether I'd need to make an application and what they might/might not approve etc. It cost me nothing, they were helpful to the point of making a site visit and longer chat - found me solutions to my problem within permitted development rules and backed it up with a letter to that effect.

This time around with my new hobby farm I rang the local planners and had several chats about what I wanted to achieve and why - all advisory as to whether I'd need to make an application and what they might/might not approve etc. It cost me nothing, they were helpful to the point of making a site visit and longer chat - found me solutions to my problem within permitted development rules and backed it up with a letter to that effect.

They charge for this now... seemingly it's not enough that they are paid out of our contributions just to do their job, we must now pay for them to do their job as well..... :001_huh:

To get any form of advice [including a site visit] you basically have to make a full application, pay a fee and then they will look at it and make a visit. Additional site visits cost extra.... I was speechless I have to admit....

They charge for this now... seemingly it's not enough that they are paid out of our contributions just to do their job, we must now pay for them to do their job as well..... :001_huh:

To get any form of advice [including a site visit] you basically have to make a full application, pay a fee and then they will look at it and make a visit. Additional site visits cost extra.... I was speechless I have to admit....

..visit was only in October...first letters and calls from me were around August and then we had a communication problem with my move. Planning officer couldn't have been nicer although locals tell me he has a rep for being a B. He even made the point that if folk ask 'for guidance/advice' then there's no reason for them to get stung or pay professionals.

Perhaps Karma was making up for the troubles I had before <s>

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo 110

as far as im aware a 'pole barn' is classed as a temporary structure & doesnt need permission.. any roof is better than no roof!!!!!!

I think you are wrong there, if the poles are dug into the ground then it is not temporary and needs PP. Temporary is some thing like a shipping container, shed, caravan or mobile field shelter.

it will vary from council to council, mine was complained about but planning officers deemed it ok, neibouring farm has several pole barns.. again all ok,

totally down to area i guess, we did look at a mobile workshop, sectional rsj building on railway track, where there is a will there is a way!!!!!!!!

I believe if you have 15 acres of woodland planning is not required for a building.

There are no minimum sizes for Permitted Development for woodlands. Unlike agriculture / farming that has two different levels of PD depending on size.

The size of the building just needs to be suitable for the area of woodland.