annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

Hey, us new guys have gotta start somewhere. Give us a break, huh? College is cosy and you're right, they don't teach you how to crown reduce or thin or whatever. They show you how to use a saw 'safely' and climbing technique. It's up to you experienced guys to show us how the jobs done. Surely you don't really expect anyone to come out of college and be fully confident at all aspects of the job? It takes a special teacher to instill confidence...

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Well said!

I think its up to the employer to take a newly qualified climber under their arm and bring them on. I wouldn't recommend contract climbing to any freshly qualified climber as they may well be under pressure (maybe self induced pressure) to perform and go well out side their comfort zone. We all know what might happen then...Accidents!

When these guys (and girls) come out of college they hold the (minimum) qualifications to start in this industry, if they think otherwise then its up to us (and the colleges) to put them straight. Qualifications mean nothing without experience.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colleges and trainers should be managing the expectations and informing the newly qualified of there possible limitations before the reach the industry.

Like others i have had my share of employing those who were a little "optomistic" of there abilities. The frustration is the mis representation of abilities, not the individuals. The truth would have gained them an opertunity albeit in a different position

IMO colleges do mislead as to what your abilities are when you finish the course. As I've said on other links, I know guys who qualified the same time as me and have set up on their own immediately. No experience, just a handful af tickets.

That's not the service I'd want to be offering.

I'm not even sure if doing a full-time course has much of an advantage against just doing the NPTC's, unless you wanna go on down the acedemic/consultancy route eventually, in which case it's a good starting point.

Just my oppinion...

Hard workers are forged by their parents. If they end up with tickets years later, they'll get snapped up. the rest will wander aimlessly around like brain damaged meer cats. A good employer will see beyond present capability and know the potential underneath. Trouble is when they piss off after years of `under-wingness' (making it up as I go along) leaving the boss without.

May I ask what your qualifications include?

Can i ask what you mean by that? I have very few qaulifications (only the bare minimum i can get away with) and no desire to get anymore as yet, experience is what I crave.

Saying that i'm giving serious consideration to doing my rigging unit sometime, I'll probably be able to teach the instructor a few things judging by previous units i have done!

I've always been honest about my abilities and like to think thats what got me where i am today.

I think the biggest problem that the original poster he's had some muppets turning up saying they can climb when they can't - Not that he doesn't understand that people need to start somewhere.

I get similar problems. My company conducts grounds maintenace and over the past two years we've branched into treework. I've got tickets to climb and use a saw, but lack climbing experience. Hence I get climbers in when it's complicated or time is of an issue. When I can do it, I do it myself, but I wouldn't advertise myself as an experienced climber.

So when some muppet turns up that has got less experience than me I do get a tad peeved. Oh and I do make sure that I've explained the job to them.

Rob

i did a days work as an instructor at myerscough. i was chatting to a few students and they were winging that they were getting £100 a day climbing for local companies. they said they should be on nearer £200 a day. one of the other instructors asked me what i'd be willing to pay. i told them that with there vast experience and knowledge i'd give them £70a day feeding a chipper. it didn't go down well. basiclly colleges are telling students you can earn £££££££ a day which is wrong!