What's the difference between a good climber and a good climber?

brothergrim

A good climber will work for himself or work for someone else and charge a lot for as little as he can do to get the tree down and not lift a stick and go when he has done his part.:thumbup1:

A good climber for an employer will work as hard as possible for as little as possible, do as he is told, work extra hours for free, work so hard the boss doesnt need to buy a hiab and only have 1 groundie when he should have 2 at least:001_smile:

I remember you writing a job description for that guy, did you ever get him?:001_smile:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to what people's opinions are to what makes a good climber is it speed,safety,efficiency,confidence and, knowledge ?? What do you think?

The ability to quickly recognise redution points and the strength of mind, even towards the end of a hard days climbing to accuratly deposit arizings out of a tree to the ground and to know when its time to come down, above all to have developed sufficient knowledge to know right from wrong and not to tolarate bullies, be the last man standing and drag brash when on the ground to the end.:thumbup:

Brothergrim I don't have a landy. Never lived up there during my time as a clamberer. Done a few jobs for friends and family when back up there though.

Sorry mate a mate of a mate has a mate who works down south and is from the same area thought it might be you, no worries

Ive worked in a few industrys now around the world, and with a fair few climbers. And i think a ''Good climber'' is 2 things.

1, consistantly changing environment;......... Crew, Tree species, equipment, industry type, Continued learning, Competitions, training.

2, being liked, by others in the industry. Ive seen so many climbers who are really good at what they do, but have a bad attitude to others etc. come second best in the eyes of others to really average climbers with the right attitude.

There is a level of competency that most climbers will reach in there career, ''good climbers'' might remove or prune a tree say 30 mins faster, at both jobs that day........ you try and book a 1 hour job for a crew including travel. Hence a celing price in our industry. Difference is the boys like going home an hour earlyer. so your the best climber in the world.