Keeping hold of the lowering rope

mikecotterill

...There are some things you are overlooking, you see questions asked on this (and other) forum(s) and project that onto the industry as a whole...

No, I don't think I'm doing that, I realise that some of these questions are being asked by inexperienced users, I know that the industry as a whole is doing ok but particularly in the regard of branch lowering I feel that it is getting unnecessarily complicated and I suspect that many older guys think so too.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't think I'm doing that, I realise that some of these questions are being asked by inexperienced users, I know that the industry as a whole is doing ok but particularly in the regard of branch lowering I feel that it is getting unnecessarily complicated and I suspect that many older guys think so too.

Well you do see “old school” climbers that come across something new and like it

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/28453-james-treeworker-thank-you.html

Have you tried any of these techniques?

I have a friction device and use it occasionally, I think the point is that some people use complex systems on relatively small sections and trees that really don't warrant it.

Well said that man, my rigging runs from a bit of natural crotch 12mm pollyprop all the way up to yale double esterlon pulley’s and a bollard.

You use what it takes when it is needed

I have a friction device and use it occasionally, I think the point is that some people use complex systems on relatively small sections and trees that really don't warrant it.

Yes and some people seem to lower stuff just for the sake of it, the pro's don't.

'he uses the end of his climbing line as a lowering line...'

whoa!, used to do that on a firm I started with 18 years ago..until the day one of the groundies put the branch I had just self -lowered on my climb line straight into the chipper!!!!...he heard me screaming over the noise and stopped it (and the end of my lifeline) going in. My anchor point was already bending over alarmingly....a close call:thumbdown:.

I climb for an old school firm now and then who hate me using lowering pulleys and devices. Its hard work, things get stuck, I'm up and down the tree untangling pieces...but the fun of watching the rope burn through their gloves as they get dragged across the lawn makes all worthwhile!...Flintstones treecare..you can keep it! :001_tongue:

I do whatever is easier and safer and quicker to rig down a tree.

Treequip: no, I haven't tried any of these gadgets, I hope you don't think that that fact disqualifies me from having a view on the subject... I would be happy to try them, my mind is not closed to new ideas. Let's stick with the branch lowering question for the moment: it's just lowering a branch by rope, it's not rocket science but I suspect that the manufacturers of the gadgets and possibly the colleges and HSE would like it to be. The more complicated something becomes the more training is needed and the more it all costs. My point is that it is not necessary, whether it is better or not is debatable. As I said before: No offense intended...

natural crotch and rapping around the tree in my opinion is slower, only through experience, also the wear on your rope is not good, and if the tree is not removed it does get damaged, iv climbed up trees that have had previous work done with the old school ways, people don't realize it is not good to rip off the camber and bark of a tree, our job is too protect not kill trees, unless it is a complete take down of corse, but with my bollard and DMM pulley block, it is fast easy safe, and the most importantly controllable, the guy i work with has 20 years experience behind him, always complaining how easy we all have it now, but i also agree people do use all this stuff on little trees that you can hold with your hands haha

as much as it must be hard for old school climbers to see it these new bits of kit do make peoples lives easier and safer. when doing big rigging jobs even a portawrap is sooo much better than making turnas around the tree, the bark of the tree is unpredictable and it leaves the groundy less option of where to stand. i was taught natural crotch rigging at college and stil do use it on smaller trees and simple stuff but if its too big to do hand held i'll put it through a friction device atleast!