should he stay or should he go.....(Clarkson)

Tom D

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can read the inner London superhead figures if you want, but the 'real' scale is the main pay scale, which ranges from £21,588 to £31,552. It's a progression over 7yrs. Note, these figures are before you've serviced your debt or made any pension contribution. The reason for the discrepancy in figures for my original calculation is that the terms of the loan do not require that you start making repayments before you cross the threshold.

Alec

Exactly!!!!!!

And now with the new fee's they don't start repaying below £21K!!!

Just seen the full clip on TV and urge all to see it, basically he said the strike was great as London was quiet on the roads (it was here as well) and then he said being the BBC he better address the balance and said all strikers should be shot - it was just his unique sense of humour and was said in a normal "Top Gear" type of way.

Looks like the press have again blown an innocent remark all out of proportion.

Me - I lost my final salary pension when Osama flew planes in to the Twin Towers and the shares collapsed, I was fortunate that the company owner bailed out the fund before selling the company.

The pension is now frozen, I have a crappy stakeholder and now have to change it again due to Government legislation - I gather 2/3rds of the UK population don't even have a pension. I have had one 2% rise in 6 years and am not on that great a wage compared to many.

So.....whose having a hard time - the public sector:confused1::001_rolleyes::lol:

Think some should wake up and smell the coffee IMO

First off, Clarkson for PM, thats what i say. Once you have cut thru the crap and the jest, he is actually a very smart guy, and he says some very valid points.

secondly, i believe that apart from the basic state pension(about £100 per wk ?)all other pensions should be private. I dont see why a company( private or public) should be made to hand out, make up or whatever, pensions for their employees. We are grown ups, we should be able to provide for ourselves. In my mind everyone of us is reponsable for our own well being, who you work for should not make any difference. Just like the dolies, if you dont want to work, fine, just dont expect a paycheck at the end of the week. As for those that did strike, if it was down to me, they would be disaplined for not carrying out their duties as expected.

What your describing would be accepted with open arms by many who have gone bust or been made redundant in the private sector.

Really? So you're suggesting that every time I hire someone to do something for me at an agreed price I should shaft them halfway through the contract by telling them I'm not paying what I originally agreed, and they'll be happy?

Those with private pensions that have gone bust giving them nothing for the £1000's they have paid in would give their right arm for a deal like that!!!!!

Those with private pensions which went bust have now been given up to 90% of the original pension back, even those whose pension pots went under before the government bale-out was put in place. Try looking at the Lister-Petter situation for example:

Notified, Qualifying and Non-Qualifying Schemes

It's not universal, granted, but it's not as black and white as you suggest.

The problem is those in the PS have had this so incredibly good for so long they don't realise how lucky they are!!!!

Really? So if the PS has been such a fantastic and cushy number all these years, so easy to get in to, so little to do, such fantastic pay, brilliant benefits etc. why aren't you in it?

Alec

Alec

1. You are not taking into account TLR, or 'management' roles, which all teachers are encouraged to take on once, if not before, they reach their pay ceiling. There are all manner of ways of earning this, HOD, HOY, pastoral, etc etc. I still don't think that a starting salary of £17k is bad based on what I have seen of NQT's...

2. I am a bad example. I work in the constructin industry. Some of my work is for the local authority, most for private sector. Public sector work has so many flaws I can't even begin to go into them here. I don't have a pension [i can't afford the contributions, I pay life insurance instead]. The only changes to my pay packet in the last 3 years have been a10% pay cut and losing my company car. I don't often take lunch, if I do it might be a sandwich at my desk and occasionally I'll pop home for half an hour. I work the hours which need to be worked to make sure the job gets done and the company makes enough money to keep me employed. Last night I was working until midnight to turn out some as built drawings to save us £400.

Mostly, I do whatever is necessary to survive and give my wife and children a stable life, and think myself bloody lucky to have a job at all. I am currently working 6 days a week, something which is VERY common in the private sector, while 5 days is an achievement in my experience of the public sector....

I don't think we are on the breadline, however when I compare our situation, both currently and long term, with friends who work for the state, actually, we pretty well are on the breadline.

3. A friend is HOD at a local high school, he knows better than to grumble to me about having to work the odd day in the school holdiays. If teachers are so broke, there is nothing to stop them working part time in the holidays... I dunno, bale bumping, fruit picking, 1-1 tutoring... the possibilities are endless. Teachers are very quick to make a big deal about what long hours they work, without seeing how very silly they look because actually, theirs sounds a lot like an easy week for most other people.

I questioned why the alphabet on the wall of my 4 year old son's classroom read 'E F H G J K' and 'T U V X W Z'... I got a very arsey call from the head mistress telling me that 'the teacher had put those letters up at 6 in the evening and was very tired'....!!!! My heart BLEEDS!!!

I'm not saying that many teachers, nurses, bin men etc don't do an absolutely wonderful job, nor am I saying that they are not worth what they're paid. What I'm saying is we're all broke. facts and figures and reasons and blame aside, what's done is done and we're in the situation we're in and that's that, make peace with it.

The huge public sector must shoulder some responsibility for this situation and accept that they can't hide behind their unions forever demanding the impossible. They need to roll up their sleeves alongside those of us who don't have a union to fight our corner, those of us who can improve our lot only by working harder for it, and help us make the country profitable again.

They need to stop making it 'them and us' because, and I can only speak for myself here, it makes me resent them massively....

I don't feel I'm getting good value. And you know what they say.... the customer is always right....

Really? So if the PS has been such a fantastic and cushy number all these years, so easy to get in to, so little to do, such fantastic pay, brilliant benefits etc. why aren't you in it?

Alec

because some people don't want to work for the state, or anyone else for that matter....

I spoke to a guy the other day who had left the council tree team because it was so boring, a spec of rain and they sat in the van all day... short days and a load of colleagues who tried to do as little as possible. He was much happier working in the private sector.