bring back yts

Stephen Blair

I remember phoning the job centre about 6 years ago when I was hiring, there was a scheme available, but i can't remember the name of it, problem was you could only take people who had been out of work for 6 months or longer. This means you get loads of applicants none of whom actually want a job, most wanted a written reply, I had asked for people to phone... so they all rang asked for a reply so they could use it to continue to claim dole. There were 2 who actually agreed to turn up to my "interview" day, basically a days work to see how it went, one was the thickest guy I have ever met, barring those with special needs, the other phoned at 10.00 to say he didn't have enough money for the bus....

Total waste of time...

Edited by skyhuck
language

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a YTS at a local Butchers when I was 16 . Money didn't matter back then as I was living with parents . I loved the job and the banter with the customers.

I gained a City & Guilds in Retail and Distribution along with few certificates in butchery ie breaking down pigs / lambs and sides of beef . It kept me busy and taught me loads not to mention keeping me of the streets . Devil and idle hands lol.

Something needs to be done to help growth in small business.

Whether that's tax breaks or incentives to employ or just the help with loaning I dont know but the large business have had it far too good for far too long.

Makes me sick to see companies complaining that their profits are down by £xxxmillion and how they are struggling.

Many small firms have been losing money not profit.

What a great idea, how many people would take on a lad if it was not going to cost the earth.Once you shoe and clothe them the outlay would be minimal not that it would be 29 pound a week any more,and what a great chance for school leavers to spend a year or two in the industry, just being on site and gaing experience and a few quals would be a great way to get into a notoriosly difficult industry to get into.

To get to 18 with a couple of quals and a few years exp gotta be a headstart.Even just being in the workiing environment and cutting the apron strings.I have had enough calls from mums asking for a job for there lad(thats a fall at the first hurdle)or the ones I have tried mummy ring up to say they wont be in because they are sick.(its raining today)

.I have had enough calls from mums asking for a job for there lad(thats a fall at the first hurdle)or the ones I have tried mummy ring up to say they wont be in because they are sick.(its raining today)

Yes I've had that!!:001_rolleyes:

I also had a lad who worked with me for a fair while and then just did not come in and would not reply to my calls or text's, so I went round, I saw him inside but he would not come to the door :confused1:

So his mother came out and told me he was quitting because I was working him to death!!!

"Its killing him" were her exact words :confused1:

I come down on the other side of the argument.

The nanny state says that they don't have to work and that the are entitled to a good wage for not working. Also, bad parenting through the most recent generations is to blame too. Parents show by their own example that the work ethic is too much bother and they, in turn, promote the "claim" culture.

Stop benefits, get rid of the cheap housing rents, get the do-gooders to realise that work is good, and not making the claim culture the way forward. Make families, even extended families responsible for each other! and that includes caring for the elderly and infirm.

I heard of one family that gets £35k in cash every year in benefits and neither parent works! If I could get that for doing nothing I would too.

Life is too easy for the dosser's of this world and the only incentive to go to work is NEED, whilst they don't need ought, they don't or won't work.

I come down on the other side of the argument.

The nanny state says that they don't have to work and that the are entitled to a good wage for not working. Also, bad parenting through the most recent generations is to blame too. Parents show by their own example that the work ethic is too much bother and they, in turn, promote the "claim" culture.

Stop benefits, get rid of the cheap housing rents, get the do-gooders to realise that work is good, and not making the claim culture the way forward. Make families, even extended families responsible for each other! and that includes caring for the elderly and infirm.

I heard of one family that gets £35k in cash every year in benefits and neither parent works! If I could get that for doing nothing I would too.

Life is too easy for the dosser's of this world and the only incentive to go to work is NEED, whilst they don't need ought, they don't or won't work.

Absolutly true Pete, but I can't see it ever changing.

The problem is that the people at the top and the do gooders don't live amongst these people and cannot or will not believe that they choose not to work, they believe that every one wants to work but can't find a job :001_rolleyes:.

So true, if we could save the billions we spend supporting the lazy, we wouldn't be in the mess we are.

I think the solution is to keep benefits the same but pay them in vouchers that can only be spent on food and essentials, NOT take aways, fags, booze, and sky tv.

TD Tree & Land Services Ltd.