bring back yts

Stephen Blair

I was chatting with some other tradesman the other day and we all started our careers the same way, with a YTS scheme.:001_smile:

To those that havent heard of it (young uns) we got paid £29.50 less if your over 40 now and on the second year £39.50

This was only 20 years ago and everyone of my mates had or could get a job.

Even back then the money wasnt great but it got you a start, went to college and the boss got free workers so there was never a time you were left alone to do loads of work:biggrin:

This would be great for employers, employees and customers to get the wheels turning.

I was never an employer under these schemes, if any one on here was, how was it for business?:001_cool:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was a yts as a joiner, £25 a week. i liked the job but i think that scheme was the death of apprenticeships in the country as an employer would not take on an apprentice when they could have slave labour instead.

Well thats what i found when i tried to get an apprenticeship after the scheme finished.

Im sure it would help things start up again Stevie. Perhaps worth a lobby to a local MP?

As an employer back then, it was a good chance of cheap labour for sure, but that would be the whole point to start things rolling again. Young ones would have a job, employers would get more done, more turnover, more trained staff etc, etc.

The basics are a good idea anyhow!

i was on one £25.25 a week slave labour all they did was exploit the young get rid of you at the end of the year and get another one or and the promise of a job at the end of it that never turned up

OR it gives you a year to show how good you are and make them want to keep you on :thumbup1:

mine started as yts but into my 2nd year it was changed to apprenticeship as it took 3 years day release.

If i hadnt got the cheap start i wouldnt of had the oppertunity to get stuck in.

£30 was good money to me, it got me out of going to school for a start lol, then i worked at the weekend for another £17.

i was loaded

i done mine in a workcamp (well a government sponsered workshop) building kitchen units and going out to fit them, also done shop fitting but we would arrive with about 20 of us and a couple of joiners and finish it in a day, thinking back it must have killed the local shopfitters work.

i never got the chance to get kept on i done my year then out.