Rope Wrench feedback

ha and this is exactly why have not bought one yet.........i've read this thread from back to front, start to finish, upside down inside out and still can't find a valid reason why i would even bother buying one, i just don't see how it could make things simple and quicker.......call me colour blind but i think we maybe going backwards on this one ......:confused1: (abuse waiting):biggrin:

No, you are entitled to your opinion, it's just different and will not suit all.

No, you are entitled to your opinion, it's just different and will not suit all.

just for clarification i dont have the issue with ascending SRT as i think its well worth the time, its just the constant adjustments i make in DdRT would take you twice as long with the RW in SRT.......or am i really missing something???

I can't and have little interest in persuading you, I just know that it's saving me effort and that's what interests me, you will have to try yourself to see if it suits you. I purchased my RW last summer ish with my own money just to see what it was like, I wasn't expecting it to change my climbing style but it has, much to my annoyance, I was expecting it to fail.

I can't and have little interest in persuading you, I just know that it's saving me effort and that's what interests me, you will have to try yourself to see if it suits you. I purchased my RW last summer ish with my own money just to see what it was like, I wasn't expecting it to change my climbing style but it has, much to my annoyance, I was expecting it to fail.

I have no Interest in you trying to persuade me either, i will have ago some day may it be from one i have bought or one i have demoed, either way i guess i will find my own answers, thanks for the input mate.....

Overall are you taking more kit into the tree or less?

Same plus RW.

I've been using a Pantin with DRT for ages so no change there. The only additional gear is the hand ascender and last week I started to find that I would use it and footloop to get up the tree then throw the footloop to the ground and clip the ascender to the harness, where it stays except for the occasional long ascent.

I wish I'd just bought a non-handled ascender as they're smaller and cheaper.

With every tree I work, I'm finding less requirement for the hand ascender as my routing is improving. What I mean by that is that when I've worked a section of the crown and need to return to the top and start the next section I find that the route I took out is quite zig zagged due to using forks as redirects.

This means that retracing my steps is just a case of climbing back up through the branches, it's like a ladder. The DRT system is to go back along the branch and arm haul yourself up the trunk. Exhausting.

When on DRT I've always been a keen advocate of using redirects with a double pulley. Works well but fiddly to set and take out.

Redirects on SRT are: Go over a branch, done. Or: Flip a strop over a branch, clip a karab, done.

Zero friction either way.

In response to an earlier comment you made about ascent to descent taking 5-10 seconds. That's if you've had 7pints, otherwise it takes the time to kick out the Pantin = 1 second.

What we need to remember is that we are learning again. I was so humiliated on my first attempt as I thought I'd be good because I'm a good (DRT) climber.

I had to focus on the fact that I was a complete climbing novice and go forwards from there.

I focused on what seemed tricky then found a solution and tried to keep it as simple as possible.

Maybe the best bit of advice I can give is to lower your expectations to avoid further disappointment. I did and it worked a treat.

Keep at it dude, it's less hard work for absolute sure.:thumbup:

Please take no offence from my post for I mean no malice.

I thought your comments were very wise and bob on, I do not doubt the RW is a good bit of kit that is allowing users to take on work in a different way and look forward to trying one sometime.