Rope Wrench feedback

one way of advancing the rope i seem to be using a lot is to grab the rope inbetween the wrench and the lockjack and pull up using the wrench as one would the pulley in a vt set up and with a bit of rope wieght beneeth i find the lock jack selftends the slack, iam using tachyon rope.

this works great for me but to be honest i havnt tried the wrench with a hitch so maybe its loads better.

might try and put up some photos of my set up iam intrested to see if i can improve my frog walking set up.

cheers carl

That's exactly how I use my rw/lj combo. I'm going to tighten the wrench up and use an oversized cam in the lj to see if it aids self tending, whilst maintaining the right friction

I spoke to Justin beginning of the week to order mind and he said the new one is ce marked and a slight change in design ie smoother corners etc. hopefully be in stock in a couple of weeks

They say good things come to those who wait:thumbup:

Don't bother changing anchors, just redirect, then take them out when you're finished. Anchor wise I mostly use a top anchor with a running bowline. I find there is a lot of sit back on base anchors when you load/unload your rope at the top of the tree. Running bowlines aren't retrievable unless you drop a throwline etc, but on srt it's not hard to get back up to untie it:thumbup:

Cheers dan makes sense.:thumbup:

Don't bother changing anchors, just redirect, then take them out when you're finished. Anchor wise I mostly use a top anchor with a running bowline. I find there is a lot of sit back on base anchors when you load/unload your rope at the top of the tree. Running bowlines aren't retrievable unless you drop a throwline etc, but on srt it's not hard to get back up to untie it:thumbup:

I'd agree with all that. The anchor system I'm now favouring is to drop the 'top' of my rope to the ground and create my TIP with an Alpine Butterfly and attach it to my side of the rope with a Maillon.

This means at the end of the job it's retrievable from the groin by pulling on the slack side.

For re-directs I'm carrying two Karabs and short loop slings and often make a fork by leaving a stub to put my rope over and prune it later.

hi guys. im really interested in getting a rope wrench and after doing a 15% thin on a monster of a turkey oak today i could really see the benifits(ddrt is alot of hard work when your going up and down, not that great for re-directs too) however i do have a question.

if your out on the end of a branch and your in a almost horizontal position, how hard is to bring yourself back upright from the single line?

I know your not supposed to but simetimes i find the easiest option for getting back in from this position using ddrt is to grab both prts of the rope and pull your in, this seems like alot of hard work and i could imagine doing this allday getting very tyring?

If you could shed some light it would be much appreciated.

Jake

Anyone using natural crotch redirects? I've got two revolvers with tape slings, but when there has been a nice crotch I've gone for that. I'm finding its massively wearing my rope, not good!

The other option of crab/revolver seems ok, but its a very tight bend radius for the rope, particularly on a single leg of rope, even more so when putting a full load on it. Anyone finding the same things? I may start using something bigger for redirects, micro pulleys were my first thought. Any ideas?

hi guys. im really interested in getting a rope wrench and after doing a 15% thin on a monster of a turkey oak today i could really see the benifits(ddrt is alot of hard work when your going up and down, not that great for re-directs too) however i do have a question.

if your out on the end of a branch and your in a almost horizontal position, how hard is to bring yourself back upright from the single line?

I know your not supposed to but simetimes i find the easiest option for getting back in from this position using ddrt is to grab both prts of the rope and pull your in, this seems like alot of hard work and i could imagine doing this allday getting very tyring?

If you could shed some light it would be much appreciated.

Jake

I certainly found this the most challenging new skill to learn. You have two options. First, do what you just described. Second, put a descender & karab on the rope before you start the limb walk so you have a3-1 system to help you return.

I did this at first and it's perfect but my technique rapidly improved and I have not bothered with it for a couple of months now.

Get one now! :thumbup1:

Anyone using natural crotch redirects? I've got two revolvers with tape slings, but when there has been a nice crotch I've gone for that. I'm finding its massively wearing my rope, not good!

The other option of crab/revolver seems ok, but its a very tight bend radius for the rope, particularly on a single leg of rope, even more so when putting a full load on it. Anyone finding the same things? I may start using something bigger for redirects, micro pulleys were my first thought. Any ideas?

I use natural crotches when ever possible but mostly I use a loop sling and karab and have not noticed rope wear. I wouldn't bother with micro pulleys as its more gear and hassle.

I don't think the bend radius around a single karab is an issue as its generally less than 90 degrees.