Rope Wrench feedback

👍. Ian if you can't get your tip from a throwline do you ascend the tree from the bottom drt then switch to srt when your anchor is meet. I bet these questions have been asked but I really don't want to have to go all the way threw the pages😀.

Maybe have a reccy throwline event then:001_tt2:

Honestly mate, when I worked day in day out with a human bigshot I couldn't throw for toffee. When I left I had to learn, it took a while but I can now usually get my final TIP within half a dozen throws, and I'm not a throwline supremo or anything :biggrin:

SRT doesn't require an isolated branch so throwing can be less demanding, as long as its up there and loading at least one load bearing point, you should be good to go.

Failing getting a high enough point, throw as high as you can, climb to that point then redirect your way to the top :001_cool:

Can the foot accender be used with your spikes?

You can and I have, but if you're on spikes it's a lot more energy efficient to walk your way up, tending slack as you go. If you get the hang of it you can spike a stem with the rope, no need for a flipline, provided you have the rope in already

personally i cant see the benefit from having a 1:1 system when your doing tip reductions and climbing on small diameter wood. i prefer the mechanical advantage for coming in on stuff that shouldnt be holding your weight

Fair play, it can be a downside to SRT. Personally I weighed up the pro's and con's and the benefits of SRT by far outweigh the downsides for me. Tip work is still possible srt, just perhaps with a little more route planning and balance. Redirects can improve work postioning and are potentially safer in terms of possible pendulum swings.

You can and I have, but if you're on spikes it's a lot more energy efficient to walk your way up, tending slack as you go. If you get the hang of it you can spike a stem with the rope, no need for a flipline, provided you have the rope in already

Yes mate I see that way being very easy, just curious......but if it can be done its good to know if needed, just thinking if the rope was away from the stem, foot ascender would be needed ill cross that bridge when I come to it....:biggrin:

Cheers dan:thumbup1:

It can be a touch uncomfortable though. I used the pantin on this job;

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/45485-last-few-days.html

to avoid having to spike back up the spongy stem on the second day. I had to take it off after five mins standing on the spikes as it was digging into my ankle but it had done it's job by that point.