Rope Wrench feedback

80m gum(tallest tree in nz apparently) today, rope wrench all the way. being able descend at any point on a big access is such a plus.

bet that was wicked bro, totally agree with the bonus of being able to descend. fair safer way of climbing and big tree.

Especially when you are climbing massive trees like that. is a bit of a mess about otherwise. espically when you go " oh man, left my sleeping bag on the ground".....the Old wrench would regenerate abit of heat tho, as too the hitch on thoses kinds of distances... what you reckon? defo better than not having the option, i suppose.

MOG

I had a chance to try Ians idea of clipping into a strop whilst coming down through a fork to setup to comeback up through it with much success, thanks Ian a great idea. Keeps you far enough away from fork to get a leg up in it to assist in getting back up and through it. I'm very much enjoying this srt business may have a spiderjack up for sale soon :D

I had a chance to try Ians idea of clipping into a strop whilst coming down through a fork to setup to comeback up through it with much success, thanks Ian a great idea. Keeps you far enough away from fork to get a leg up in it to assist in getting back up and through it. I'm very much enjoying this srt business may have a spiderjack up for sale soon :D

Yeah it makes it a breeze in reality and reduces the angle of rope so less balancing against a long anchor point. I also use the strop technique if i have to climb up into a dead top to remove it, main on live stem the attach a strop every 0.5m so if you fall you only go through a 1m fall arrest. Takes a lot of time but if the wrost happens your safer than a 4m fall. :thumbup1:

Sorry, Old MT, but I wasn't sure that my rambling on about something that many on this site would not be able to use, would be appreciated. But since you asked...

Everything I said in #1013 still holds true and then some. It has a silky smooth feel of a rappel rack but will automatically stop when released. It has zero friction in upward movement and locks off with no set back. It can be put on or taken off any part of the climbing line in less than 10 seconds.

It is a very fun combination and I do not foresee separating the two any time soon.

Dave

Sorry, Old MT, but I wasn't sure that my rambling on about something that many on this site would not be able to use, would be appreciated. But since you asked...

Everything I said in #1013 still holds true and then some. It has a silky smooth feel of a rappel rack but will automatically stop when released. It has zero friction in upward movement and locks off with no set back. It can be put on or taken off any part of the climbing line in less than 10 seconds.

It is a very fun combination and I do not foresee separating the two any time soon.

Dave

Is using the RW in combination with the uni reducing its wear rate increasing its lifespan?

And are you privy to some prototype or something with this product that many of us would not be able to use?

Marc, the Rope Wrench is most definitely going to reduce wear and increase the lifespan on the Unicender. It is by how much that I cannot say as I have not been using it long enough yet. I can wear a Uni enough for a rebuild in about a year. With the combo I'm hoping to stretch that to two years. Will see.

Nothing special in what I am using, other than the tether and the sholder bolt mod on the Uni. My coments on "not being able to use" had more to do with availability and certification of the Unicender. And the acceptance by inspectors of the combination. I don't know. Maybe this will not be a problem.

Dave

Edited by D Mc

Thanks D Mc.

After 8 loyal years on a Lockjack I'm finding minor confidence issues using an HC under my RW. I suppose the confidence will improve, it's only a minor wobble in my mind, and then I won't look back.

The thing is, I'm very well aware that an LJ will always catch you every single time, guaranteed. A HC needs to be checked and adjusted continually to ensure its set just right. That's my issue.

I'm not slagging off the HC / VT knot, it's a superb system, but I do miss my LJ.

I don't miss climbing DdRT though so if the Uni/RW combo is as sublime in performance as it is in aesthetics,then I may need to open the wallet, again.

Keep us posted with anything you discover.

Thanks.