Rope Wrench feedback

Can you sew? A short and stiff tether works very well with the Rope Wrench.

Dave

100_4190-1.jpg

With the rope wrench does using the plates ie pressing the plates together become smoother? I remember it used to be quit harsh and jerky so smooth ascent was made by wrapping around the tongs.

Also do you think it will prolong the life of the uni? As this has always been something that put me off getting one.

I still want one though it's a great access tool with descent function.

What on earth?? I thought the Uni worked perfectly by itself. Why put an RW on top?

That tether looks good though. What is it?

I think D is experimenting with the set up to monitor wear? Do you need it! I think not. The Unicender works just fine for me! Tried the Unicender in Ddrt the other day to access a large Ash as my throw bag had got stuck! It worked quite well self tending etc but it's much better for SRT.

What on earth?? I thought the Uni worked perfectly by itself. Why put an RW on top?...

Hahaha! That was a funny post! I can just about guess at the appalled look that accompanied it.

Deer Man was right in that it is just an experiment. With all the talk about the RW I really had to try one. I used it in the proper manner first ( with a hitch and pulley ) to get the feel for what it could do. It was nice, just not nicer than what I was used to with the Uni, and my climbing style. But the Unicender is not perfect either so I combined the two, just because I could.

My first thought was as stated, a wear reducer that could be left on all the time and not interfere with the normal function of the Uni. It has not been in use long enough to determine how much it will do for this but there are some things that became evident immediately. Control is dramatically improved! I could control the Uni with one hand before with a wrap, but it is much easier with the Rope Wrench, and with no wrap. Not only is it smoother but it allows control from a variety of hand positions.

It fair-leads and captures the rope at the top cam of the Uni. This is kind of a big deal as it enables better and safer movement when working at off angles.

The hole setup feels very rope friendly.

100_4195-1.jpg

100_4194-2.jpg

Hi all, first congrats on a great rope wrench thread, after reading it you guys have convinced me to buy a wrench. Shame on you! ;P anyway i've had a bit of a swing on it and i enjoy being able to not only ascend srt but work as well. But i have some questions, i'm 110kg and i wonder if there are many more of the fuller figured climbers have been using it? And just out of interest what rope, prussik cord and hitch are people using, i'm on imori with 8mm armourprus using a valotain (spellings off lol) also i'm liking the idea of multipile redirects but i a having enormous problems trying to come back up through a crotch. The only way i've been able to do it is with a 3:1 moving at about 3inch increments at a time. How are you guys doing it? Or are dropping down through forks more of a one way thing? I've got many more questions but we'll see how i go with these ones first. Thanks all

Nick

Hi all, first congrats on a great rope wrench thread, after reading it you guys have convinced me to buy a wrench. Shame on you! ;P anyway i've had a bit of a swing on it and i enjoy being able to not only ascend srt but work as well. But i have some questions, i'm 110kg and i wonder if there are many more of the fuller figured climbers have been using it? And just out of interest what rope, prussik cord and hitch are people using, i'm on imori with 8mm armourprus using a valotain (spellings off lol) also i'm liking the idea of multipile redirects but i a having enormous problems trying to come back up through a crotch. The only way i've been able to do it is with a 3:1 moving at about 3inch increments at a time. How are you guys doing it? Or are dropping down through forks more of a one way thing? I've got many more questions but we'll see how i go with these ones first. Thanks all

Nick

I posted a rating on cord a page or so back so i hope some of that info might be good for you. I havent tried Imori so i dont know how good it is but armur pruss is joint 1st on my test list. :thumbup1:

I used a strop and a dmm revolver and normally offset it from the fork so i dont have this issue.

Going back up i normally just clip the pantin in and stand upright, LOTS helps moving up quickly too. (Lanyard Over The Shoulder) Rads (3:1) you can setup above the fork you desend through or at the start of your limb walk. :thumbup1:

Hope your enjoying it?

Used the WR on one of the climbs today. Nothing big only a 16m beech to reduce 10%, crown clean & lift. It was a ladder tree so quite a congested crown to boot. This brought the WR into its own though :thumbup1:

Constant predictable friction no matter what I went over, through & under.

Even though I don't use it for all climbs I find it a very useful tool to have on my kit bag.

Had a go at foot locking on it but I prefer to use the pantin. Anywho still playing with different things with it & still enjoying it.