Tractor drivers

Gollum

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone thats driven a tractor on the road for some time has come accross this. Problem is finding somewhere safe every 1/2 mile or so on a busy road and if you have a widish implement then finding a space that is wide enough to take that implement.

Most awkward thing I used to drive commonly was a close coupled bale trailer with a fore end loader on the front of the tractor and a flat 8 bale grab on the front of that. Overhang from the front axle was in the region of 14 feet. You did not want to be waving that around and the close coupled trailer meant you could not turn tight even if you wanted to. 8 courses of bales meant I was going nowhere but straight ahead.

Cut my teeth on a Dexta, lovelly little tractor.

A

had a close one today was halfway round a mini roundabout indicator on, flashy light and lights on an some stupid cow in an audi shot out infront of me near tipped the sodding thing having to brake that hard wi a loader on! :sneaky2:

It's that Audi optional extra again :lol:

We've still got a Super Dexta up the lane. Needs a bit of TLC these days though. Maybe I'll fix it up one day.......

I used to drive it as a lad with a bale spike on the back. Great fun except I had to jump up and down on the brake pedal as I wasn't heavy enough to stop it!

IIRC the age limit for driving a tractor is 14.

I understand that but I can't understand a 14 yr old being in control of a tractor trailer weighing in excess of x amount of tons ? The damage they can cause is unreal . I mean they dont have any knowledge of the highways . Granted they've probably being driving since an early age but to be let loose on the rds at 14 is crazy . Some kind of training should be enforced ?