Glorious Yew

TrollSpiel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lovely stuff. first board I ever milled was the start of a love affair.. sanding the damn stuff down though always makes me sick.

thnx for the compliments all...

Nice table - like the pyrite idea! I'm starting to use resin a lot now - good fun!

Ditto - in the end most of it all comes down to the sanding that's where the work is :sneaky2:

I think Slackbladder started a wood filler revolution with the resin thing. Chucking the bit of gold in there was just to kinda make something interesting out of it.

You're right Rob, cutting, shaping, sanding - that's where the work & art is. I like to make the wood speak, it's all about the grain for me - even if it does come in the shape of a dwarfs axe head. I dont know if anyone else suffers from yew, but I cant wear my mask all day, no matter how good it is - and yew dust gives me symptoms like the worst man flu around..

SB,,, first goes with the resin went ok. A mate (engineer) gave me a great rock smasher for the turqouise etc - seconds! (gonna try and get another for you), and the resin thing,,, I was concerned it might lift, so with my dremmel-carver, I sunk small holes into it at angles, and cut a 'cornice' into the lip of the hole, so the resin couldnt pop out.

I sanded it to 360 with a DA, and then put some 1200 over it and rubbed it with a cloth for ages. I'm hoping it comes up crystal clear when the lacquer goes on..

the new sexy metal arrived today, so I might skip work tomorrow & get some shine on it:D

photo.JPG.e758ae8d72fb889fd0079af23c908be6.JPG