Price list for stump grinders

abigail.waddecar

Hah...

I tried the £ per inch method and it lost me more than I gained.

Really, first work out your costs.

Mine guzzles 4litres per hour and can use a set of green teeth per day.

I calculate the cost price per hour to be £20-£25 per hour approx.

Add your wages and travel, and other business costs.

So it is with experience that I got to know the different stumps types and situations and their costs.

Cherry, hard as nails. Walnut, hard and very deep.

Poplar large, chasing buttress roots all over.

Digging around with a mattock saves teeth and exposes nasties thrown at the foot of trees.

I price single stumps differently than those done on a day rate which is proportionally far cheaper.

Best of luck

I learned it all here on arb talk:thumbup:

Ty

Does anyone have an approx price list for different sizes stump to have them grinded out?

Many thanks abbie x

Experience will eventually be your best guide.

I almost always visit the site to avoid any nightmare,world of pain situations unless I know its a small walk behind job.After just grinding stumps for ten years or so I can still get the price wrong especially when the tree has grown over a metal stake.

Points to help you price a job-Poplars take the torque out of any stumpgrinder-make sure you keep changing teeth.Cherry-hard plus at least two big roots to chase-never blow over.Beech-although shallow rooted take longer than you think.Each type of tree has grinding characteristics-Oak looks auwsome but is okay -Eucalptus easy etc.

I always Dig around stumps -soil/stones will dull teeth quickly unless its the big turbo Carlton.Heavy clay can clog in the cutter guard and slow the wheel-chalk is fine-sand is good but abrasive on the cutters over time etc.

Hope some of these points will help help you when you are looking at pricing jobs.

Also, I do a either a full grind, chasing out every large root near the surface and getting every piece of root plate out OR just do a cosmetic grind enough to sow grass over, say 20cm.

Yes, the clay and debris under the cutter wheel housing really caught me out the other day, thought I was losing power and got worried until I scraped it off with a long screwdriver. It was hard and fibrous and a devil to knock off.

I'm charging out at 500euros plus vat.

I love grinding, I love money full stop!:thumbup:

Ty