Chopping boards

alex_w

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where do you get that from i need to do my block? cheers

I have been buying it from a painting and decorating store, (quite a few seem to stock it,) as I did all my windows and doors (oak) with four coats I was using quite a lot, but dont buy a bigger can than you need though as it goes off in contact with air, (same as boiled linseed oil) you want it to go off or harden once it has been absorbed into the wood, but a part used can may be a bit gooey after a few months.

Couple of comments with regard to points raised above:

Oak is not a good idea, as it will stain up blue if left in contact with anything steel. You may not have anything steel in your kitchen, but leaving it in contact when damp, even briefly, with some old style tinned implement where the tin is wearing thin will leave an indelible mark. High grade stainless won't stain it blue - low grade stainless will.

Tung oil is food safe, but not for people with extreme nut allergies. Again, not a problem for own use, but possibly a problem for sale.

Alec

Tung Oil is fantastic, it is good for outdoors and in, made from Tung Nut so totally edible, paint it on, rag off after an hour and the job is done.

Not sure if Im allowed to Butt in, but I always use olive oil....needs re doing every so often to keep board in good nick.

Tung oil is food safe, but not for people with extreme nut allergies. Again, not a problem for own use, but possibly a problem for sale.

Alec

I've done a fair bit of internet research Alec (I'm sure you'll point me right) that if you use an oil on wood and polish it the outer layer polymerises and forms a barrier.

From what I've read the best oils to use are walnut oil and coconut oil for treating boards. I've been using walnut oil for the last 6 months and it seems to work well.

Again from what I've read walnut oil does not go rancid in the wood compared to other vegetable oils. And it's very unlikely someone who have a reaction to it given the first point above.

Hi Rob,

There are different types of oil - with different chemical structures. Some can polymerise, others can't. Walnut is one of the ones which can't.

My understanding is that some people with allergies are sensitive to extremely low concentrations, hence the point about items made for sale (particularly noting that, although used as a food oil, walnut being non-polymerising will leach slowly into foodstuffs).

There's some well written, accurate information here:

Oil Finish Primer for Woodturners

Have you seen that one?

Alec