Should you need a licence to be an arborist?

Gregsie

Should tree surgery me more regulated  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should tree surgery me more regulated

• Agghh not more red tape. Wash your mouth out.
    • You should need an NPTC ticket to be able to buy a chainsaw.
    • Yes, arborists should be licenced.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NPTC could review its systems and make refreshers manditory like spraying cert.

only way to tackle the problem would be if local authorities take on the role of public education re. hiring an arborist, this couldn't be a guarantee of workmanship however, it might sift out the lop/top crew out there.

Maybe the problem is the way that Joe public perceives arborist / tree surgeons.

A lot of the public think if you've an NPTC you are qualified as a tree surgeon and don't realise that it's nothing more than a certificate of competetance to use a saw and also that topping is good practice.

Don't get me wrong there will always be people who want to pay little or nothing and then winge when they get problems later and the lopper and topper brigade will always appeal to this market. There are also people who are willing to pay a decent price for a decent job and want ot rely on a professional to do it for them.

However how many people ring up the guy who advertises in the local rag thinking 'oh, he must be legit he's got an NPTC' and no one explains to them that topping is basically butchery how would they know any different as they would be relying in good faith on the advice they were given.

At the moment (and correct me if I'm wrong), anyone could go and get my CS30, buy my self a saw from B & Q and advertise as a tree sugeon with NPTC qualifications and happily trade as such until something eventually went pair shaped.

IMHO a lot of the problem is that the organisations that are meant to represent the tree care industry in the UK don't seem to be able to get their message across about what good practice is.

Maybe this is because they don't have a high profile public face. I mean if you mention the AA or ISA to most people they will look at you blank and say whats an arborist.

If there was a good minimum legal standard required before you could call your self an arborist or tree surgeon (either through qualifications and / or expericence)and you had to present your tickets and insurance to get a licence no. like you do to become a gas fitter or electrician and this was policed by the authorities (it would not be difficult all they would have to do in the majority of cases is pick up the local paper or yellow pages) wouldn't this reduce the no. of 'cowboys'?

I know I'm new to this industry, so I'll apologise in advance if I've tread on anybodies toes or spoke out of order, or rambled on to much, but it's something thats been eating away at me - at what point can you call yourself an arborist and how easy it is to get a chainsaw a claim to be one.

The problem I can see is that most domestic customers couldnt give a hoot about qualifications,experience or insurance. (In my area of work anyhow)

I have an NCH(arb) cert plus all the necessary NPTCs and 5 million PL, now although I advertise the fact that we hold all the above I can count on one hand the number of times potential domestic customers have asked to see them. Commercial is completely different, they want everything above plus more!

So having some "arborist license" would probably be a waste of time and money for me since hardly anyone would recognise it.

A crap groundie will make a good climber look crap, a good groundie will make a crap climber look good.

If people would stop and listen to what professionals say and stop thinking i want it topped / who is the cheapest, that to me would be a lot more valuable than more red tape

Jamie

I find this thread so depressing :thumbdown:

I would seem that many of you embrace the nanny state that I despise.

Maybe many of you would be happier with a communist government :sad:

Do you really want the people who have overseen this current financial disaster, are closing A&E departments and loose the private information of millions of us to police our industry.

And the thing is it would not stop one rogue trader for a second!

This country is, IMHO, truly screwed:sad:

I find this thread so depressing :thumbdown:

I would seem that many of you embrace the nanny state that I despise.

Maybe many of you would be happier with a communist government :sad:

Do you really want the people who have overseen this current financial disaster, are closing A&E departments and loose the private information of millions of us to police our industry.

And the thing is it would not stop one rogue trader for a second!

This country is, IMHO, truly screwed:sad:

I hear you Dave, and Agree 100%

Having said that, I could'nt give a toss about rogue traders and fly by nights. They've never taken a job off me.

Remember -

'If the answer is more government, your asking the wrong questions...'

Does not matter a u know what whatever we think; the only people who can effectively change the industry are the customers.

Many of us will try to educate them, but too higher percentage is prices orientated and are largely free to do/employ as they see fit. Therefore to my mind the solution is to regulate the customer into having a duty of care to employ qualified contractors or become liable.

We have enough bull to cope with :mad1:

Having said that, I could'nt give a toss about rogue traders and fly by nights. They've never taken a job off me.

Remember -

'If the answer is more government, your asking the wrong questions...'

If they want it doing cheap let them go else were!

I had a guy a few years ago trying to get me to sign up to and 0800 number, I told him if the customer did not want to spend 10p on a phone call I didn't want them as a customer.

I think the people who bleet on about "cowboys" must be doing something wrong. I can't do all the work I get offered ! never mind wanting more.

So the 44.44% who have so far voted for licences, how much is a fair price to pay for the licence? Bearing in mind that it would be a professional licence to work, £500 per person? £1000? How long would the licence be valid for, 5years? I know of instances of heating engineers claiming to be Corgi registered, not that they are. Corgi has stringent procedures to stop this kind of rogue trader, but it still happens, so where would licencing safe guard your work?