vented barrow bags

Rob Stringer

Hello all,I'm considering using vented barrow bags as a method of drying&delivering logs to reduce the amount of handling involved. Was wondering if anyone uses them and how they find them. Do they stand up to repeated use, exposure to sunlight etc. I dont have equipment for handling larger bags and the barrow bags look like a handy size for dragging off my trailer and moving around on a sack-barrow but I'm thinking they'll only be good value if they can be re-used quite a few times. Thanks, Rob S

I use a lot of them. People in the town like them as you can take them through terraced houses, down steps, alleyways, etc. and they dont need a log store! I take a £5 refundable deposit which is great because you generally get repeat orders from the same customer. it takes a while to get the knack of up/down steps mind :blushing:

Mine are on their second year and a few have a few holes in where they have been dragged along he ground but thy are still very useable and i'm sure ill still get a few more years out of them yet!:001_smile:

I have seen some companies offering non-vented barrow bags for a very good price but IMO stick to the vented bags.

Dave - i store most of my logs loose and fill the barrow bags up before delivery. (I am going to build a hopper one day to tip the logs into!)

If i remove an apple tree / cherry etc, then i season these in barrow bags as i charge a premium for these.

I tried the non-vented bags but some customers complained of mould after a while with seasoned logs (MC -20%) so decided to stick with the vented. I think new customers like to see what they're getting too.

Tried them this year, delivered my first one tonight. Not as popular as the vented cubic meter bags so far. Customers like the ability to store the meter bag in their garage, just roll it off the trailer on a pump truck and pop it where they want it.

Got 50 of each bag, all my meter ones are full, wonder of I have wasted money on the barrow bags but time will tell.

A

Tried them this year, delivered my first one tonight. Not as popular as the vented cubic meter bags so far. Customers like the ability to store the meter bag in their garage, just roll it off the trailer on a pump truck and pop it where they want it.

Got 50 of each bag, all my meter ones are full, wonder of I have wasted money on the barrow bags but time will tell.

A

You have certainly not wasted your money. Barrow Bags are the only option for many smaller houses installing stoves.

We bought 50 and were slightly disappointed with the quality , they just don't seem as robust as your average builders sack

Rather than getting customers to pay a deposit we want to sell them the bags and give refills at a fiver less , don't know how it'll work out yet as were new to logs and very small scale .

We bought 50 and were slightly disappointed with the quality , they just don't seem as robust as your average builders sack

Rather than getting customers to pay a deposit we want to sell them the bags and give refills at a fiver less , don't know how it'll work out yet as were new to logs and very small scale .

Forgot to say they work pretty well with the arbor trolley , stand it on it's end loops over the handles to fill and pull it up ramps onto truck.