A&E in my kitchen.

Will Ayers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be a novel ability that your wife has, however my only concern is liability.

Regardless how well intended the care offered is, I would choose to leave it for a professional. Less drama, less what if's.

easy-lift guy

Liability?? you mean having your friend sue you for trying to help? Thats so american that elg. Was it not the case once a child sued his/her parents because he/she was ugly and so was the parents, so the argument was they shouldnt have had a child because they should have known it would be ugly????

You americans need to chill out a bit:001_rolleyes:

Anyway as for the OP i wish i knew someone that could or would do that for me, would save so much wasted time waiting in A&E while you bleed to death.

This seems to be a novel ability that your wife has, however my only concern is liability.

Regardless how well intended the care offered is, I would choose to leave it for a professional. Less drama, less what if's.

easy-lift guy

Dont see how you can get any more professional than a fully qualified doctor who has just completed an accident and emergency rotation.

Actually if you go to hospital with that kind of injury, the chances of being treated by a doctor are pretty slim.

David/Peter, The Liability I was referring to having someone stitch up my hand even though they were a "medical student" is what concerns me. Lets say David had a really nasty cut on his hand and a friend offered to stitch up the wound, the procedure was done and David went about his day to day and than a few weeks later due to no additional follow up or meds administered to take care of any infection that may creep up Poor old David has a nasty staff infection. Maybe David was unlucky or maybe the staff infection had it out for him but in either case a visit to the doctor would have been first and foremost to put my mind at ease. Sorry I live in such a litigious society but reality being fact more times than not I prefer to side with the professionals first.

The case about the child suing the parents is not even relative and IMO the judge handling the case should have thrown out said case before it wasted the courts time/money. Friends helping friends is one thing and since it was not disclosed at the beginning of this thread that said medical student was a "qualified doctor" my reply was based on the information posted. I am sure the next time a tree needs to be taken down and a student of Arboriculture drops it on your house or car all you have to say is that's OK I know you were only trying to help. Since life on a day to day basis is interesting enough I choose common sense as my guide and leave the "that's so American" and Chill pill consumers for everyone else to deal with. All the best.

easy-lift guy

David/Peter, The Liability I was referring to having someone stitch up my hand even though they were a "medical student" is what concerns me. Lets say David had a really nasty cut on his hand and a friend offered to stitch up the wound, the procedure was done and David went about his day to day and than a few weeks later due to no additional follow up or meds administered to take care of any infection that may creep up Poor old David has a nasty staff infection. Maybe David was unlucky or maybe the staff infection had it out for him but in either case a visit to the doctor would have been first and foremost to put my mind at ease. Sorry I live in such a litigious society but reality being fact more times than not I prefer to side with the professionals first.

The case about the child suing the parents is not even relative and IMO the judge handling the case should have thrown out said case before it wasted the courts time/money. Friends helping friends is one thing and since it was not disclosed at the beginning of this thread that said medical student was a "qualified doctor" my reply was based on the information posted. I am sure the next time a tree needs to be taken down and a student of Arboriculture drops it on your house or car all you have to say is that's OK I know you were only trying to help. Since life on a day to day basis is interesting enough I choose common sense as my guide and leave the "that's so American" and Chill pill consumers for everyone else to deal with. All the best.

easy-lift guy

I was just using the ugly kid thing as an example of the sue everyone society, probably a bad example i know. As for someone stitching a cut then i would be happy whoever did it as long as i could see they were doing it to my standards. If it was a cut anywhere else other than my hand i would probably do it myself if i had the proper equipment, nothing worse than sitting in A&E for hours and then a nurse or even a doctor just washing it out and then stitching it in 5 minutes and sending you on your way. I could do it myself so i would or i would let someone else do it for me and i wouldnt even think of the word liable, thats the difference. I wasnt trying to have a dig at you elg and i am sorry if it came over like that.

Ha ha well this is a rum one eh!

When my wife stitched my hand up, and my arm for that matter, she was a nearly qualified doctor! whom loved her job and sadly used me as a guinee pig many a time! She kept a good eye on the stitches and would have sent me off to the gp at my convenience if she thought there was a problem.:001_cool:

The procedure carried out in the front room last night, was sadly, likely to be more sterile than A&E. Carried out by a GP trainee (read as, quallified for 3 and a half years with the letters DR in front of her name) who has had experience for six months in the A and E department. They would of done exactly the same in there. Maybe my innitial post was misleading! :blushing:

my question obviousely aroused a differing level of concern around these small contusions we manage to inflict upon our selves. i find it interesting that some people are content to DIY it while others feel a hospital is a must! personally i have spent way too much time in hospital waiting rooms to let a cut send me in! and i'm a massive wimp about injuries!:lol:

i dont believe there is a right or wrong here, although if the wound is anything more sinister than just skin or is at all awkward looking with jagged rough edges, i'd definitely reccomend a trip to the pro's! i bet theres some doctors out there with some stories, guys coming in with staples holding fingers on etc.

be careful people, its best if we dont need any stitches at all:biggrin:

Liability?? you mean having your friend sue you for trying to help? Thats so american that elg. Was it not the case once a child sued his/her parents because he/she was ugly and so was the parents, so the argument was they shouldnt have had a child because they should have known it would be ugly????

You americans need to chill out a bit:001_rolleyes:

Anyway as for the OP i wish i knew someone that could or would do that for me, would save so much wasted time waiting in A&E while you bleed to death.

:thumbup1:

Only problem with having a nurse as a wife is they don't worry too much about things so sometimes sympathy can a bit low on the ground !

The farm vet stitched me up after cutting my leg during a tb test, saved a wait in a&e and my kitchen chair has a lot less nasties than a&e!!!! Only problem is now every time he brings out a new student or colleague I have to yank me trouser leg up so he can demonstrate the versatility of his skills!