• Schliesing
    • Timberwolf

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

750kg

and a lorry would be anything over a 3.5t truck

and now to make things even harder, you cant drive a 7.5 ton on a standard uk license. new drivers have to take extra tests now to drive over 3.5t and also to be able to tow anything

i dont think you need a licence to tow something under a certain weight. ie a small chipper.

Its all very very complicated! I've spent hrs looking into towing regs.

for anyone who passed the Cat B test after the 1/1/97 They are restricted to a vehicle with a gross weight of 3500kg and a trailerb weighing no more than 750kg or A vehicle and trailer combination of no more than 3500kgs the trailer can be heavier than 750kg but not heavier than the tow tug!

Clear as Mud isn't it. To tow a trailer over these weights the candidate must pass the B+E test which costs about 90quid.

Oh and how many of you with Transits grossing 3500kg towing chippers are using Tachographs? or are you all running under the forestry exemption?

Its all very very complicated! I've spent hrs looking into towing regs.

for anyone who passed the Cat B test after the 1/1/97 They are restricted to a vehicle with a gross weight of 3500kg and a trailerb weighing no more than 750kg or A vehicle and trailer combination of no more than 3500kgs the trailer can be heavier than 750kg but not heavier than the tow tug!

Clear as Mud isn't it. To tow a trailer over these weights the candidate must pass the B+E test which costs about 90quid.

Oh and how many of you with Transits grossing 3500kg towing chippers are using Tachographs? or are you all running under the forestry exemption?

new drivers can not tow a chipper under 750kg if it has BRAKES we got a braked tw150 without realizing if it had been unbraked our new drivers could have towed it

i drive a 17 tonner with a tw 250 and we dont use tachos lots of exemptions for us

new drivers can not tow a chipper under 750kg if it has BRAKES we got a braked tw150 without realizing if it had been unbraked our new drivers could have towed it

i drive a 17 tonner with a tw 250 and we dont use tachos lots of exemptions for us

As far as I'm aware, braked or unbraked doesn't matter. If the towed item weighs more than 750kgs, it has to have brakes, if less - delete the brakes.

if it weighs less than 750kg and has brakes they cant tow it honest

Sorry I beg to differ! Can I ask who told you that?

I borrowed this From NTTA its also on DVLA

Driving Licences

Summary

You must hold a full driving licence to tow anything.

Most drivers who passed their test before 1 January 1997 have licence categories allowing them to drive vehicle and trailer combinations weighing up to 8.25 tonnes.

With effect from 1 January 1997 the second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) came into effect, affecting new drivers passing their test after that date and HGV drivers who obtained their licence after 31 December 1991.

The net result is that new drivers will only be allowed to drive and tow the following combinations:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (category B) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total MAM).

Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. > 750kg, provided that the combined MAM does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. To be able to tow combinations outside this ruling requires the passing of an additional test.

New HGV drivers and those who have passed their HGV tests since 1 January 1992 will be restricted to towing trailers up to 750kg until they pass an additional test

if it weighs less than 750kg and has brakes they cant tow it honest

Sorry Bob, if you got sold a brakeless TW150 on the basis that if it had brakes, you need to uprate your licence, yu bin dun! They had big windows there and could see you coming a mile off.

The issue there is that a TW150 is so finely weighed, remove the discharge chute, fuel and hydraulic oil and it does weigh less tha 750. Add the bits that make it work and it goes over - hence the brakes.

Sorry mate.

Just been on the phone to a mate who has a lot to do with Tw's he put it another way, take the brake drums, shoes, braked coupling and cables off a braked machine and its under 750kg add that little lot to an unbraked model its over 750kg thats the issue with the TW150.