selling artics of timber to joe public

Joy Yeomans

As a keen amateur with a wood burner, space for an arctic load, a decent chainsaw and appropriate PPE I would find it rather condescending to be told that I cant buy cord because I might hurt myself.

However if you are concerned why not just ask the customer to sign a disclaimer to accept responsibility for the wood and so indemnify yourself ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be grossly overestimating the abilities of Joe (public) but I'd have thought that if he were to want to purchase a full artic load, chances are he's used a chainsaw before. Even to the most under-educated souls, a lorry-load of wood (or whatever material) is going to be quite a pile and won't fit into the garden center-bought log-store without a bit of work.

I am like Joe, I've been cutting firewood with a chainsaw for over 20 years (I'm 32). I have no CS stiffkits or such, and no wood-processing bussiness. Why on earth do you believe I should not be sold an artic of cord?

If I was in your shoes I dont think I would some people are just dangerous and have no sense when it comes to using a chainsaw . But im curious how much would an artic load cost anyway?One day our supply will run low its always handy to know what price it can be bought in for im looking at doing firewood as a sideline when I set up business in the near future.

around £50-55 a ton delivered..

around £50-55 a ton delivered..

Nick, are people really paying £50-£55 a tonne (delivered) for cord around your way ? you've posted recently that you are paying £30-£35 per tonne for cord roadside. which makes haulage £20 a tonne, sounds like alot of money for haulage.

Nick, are people really paying £50-£55 a tonne (delivered) for cord around your way ? you've posted recently that you are paying £30-£35 per tonne for cord roadside. which makes haulage £20 a tonne, sounds like alot of money for haulage.

timber haulage is min of £10 aton even if its going 2 miles up road... if its 20 miles away its £15 a ton... and so on depending how far u are... my lorry averages 5 miles to gallon on a round trip... pls do not think i'm earning a fortune.... i can take 2 skips out in an hour and pick a full one up on way back and earn same money as 6 or 7 hours in timber lorry...

timber haulage is min of £10 aton even if its going 2 miles up road... if its 20 miles away its £15 a ton... and so on depending how far u are... my lorry averages 5 miles to gallon on a round trip... pls do not think i'm earning a fortune.... i can take 2 skips out in an hour and pick a full one up on way back and earn same money as 6 or 7 hours in timber lorry...

I would stick with the skips:001_smile:

I would stick with the skips:001_smile:

i do the skips first.. then take the artic out..... several blokes in my area who are owner drivers are always moaning they cant make a living running an artic..... i can see why they wouldnt.. on grain bulker work they wouldnt come home with more than £150 a day after diesel.. diff with me and few others i no that run lorrys is we got other eggs in other baskets.. i do skips early in morn before i go out with artic and my lads are out doing tree work while i'm out in lorry.... i enjoy drivin all over south england and come home with few extra quid than i woulda had if i'd stayed at yard..... and timber haulage is lot more profitable than grain...

some body buying an artic load of timber would possibly be selling it on for beer money at weekends.After already earning a wage during the week round me theres a few i cant compete with unseasoned timber at 30 quid a pickupload.

people want cheap not paying more and getting dry seasoned quality hardwood put it next to the fire itldry attitudes only increase work for chimney sweeps and firemen wen the gunk in there chimneys sets on fire IMO that is

I just supply my regulars and use it myself saves me paying heating bills.