Sycamore

Could you expand please. I know syc's hold large but not very diverse biomass, wheras oaks hold very diverse biomass. Tell me more!

Its to do with the amount of birdlife they can support through the high quanties of inverts that are present on sycamores. Which is funny as many organisations that really push for the removal of sycamore are conservation bodies. Its becoming more common practise to leave any mature canopy sycamores now and focus on removing any new regeneration.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of wildlife habitat, apart from the above issues I've mentioned they are exceptionally important to birds as a food source, being only second to oak in terms of the food chain they support.

It really depends on how you define biodiversity connected with a tree, Sycamore has its role in the eco system, like all pioneers, ash birch willow etc

but the king and queen are Oak and beech, together they reign supreme, of course they would be lost without the other native pawns in the biological game of chess.

I will check the FRDBI database later and see what i can dig out on the biodiversity associated with the "celtic maple":thumbup1:

Non native?

Someone told me they are the "celtic maple" and have prob been here since the ice retreated 10,000 years ago. In that respect all species (with the possible exception of lichen) are non native.

kwfhomepage

i like that :thumbup:

never heard it called that before but i think i will start using it instead of sycamore from now on, has a nicer ring to it than vomit some more:lol:

I think Firewood has a great point.

It all depends om how far back you choose to go in history.

Isn't the same true in politics - how many counties/states go to war because an area 'used to' be theirs -

Anyway - if sycamore works for you - go for it.

why is it the bad guy? Apart from mould on the logs if you store them wrong, what does it do that's so wrong?

I like the way ths thread has turned into the "Celtic Maple Appreciation Society" thread:biggrin: but does anyone have any answers to the original question?

I know it outcompetes and outshadows most thing trying to grow underneath it, but no worse than the much revered Beech surely?

I like the way ths thread has turned into the "Celtic Maple Appreciation Society" thread:biggrin: but does anyone have any answers to the original question?

I know it outcompetes and outshadows most thing trying to grow underneath it, but no worse than the much revered Beech surely?

As much as Sycamore will out compete and out shadow most species but no more than Beech or even Hazle , BUT this can be controled with a good management programe .