Sycamore

So if ash was the best and sycamore 2nd best, what would be the third best species to plant for firewood coppice?

Hornbeam and Alder are great and traditionally proven. Probably a close one for third. Alder likes the wet and Hornbeam not that quick a grower but the best firewood you can get in my opinion, if you have the patience to season it well.

Robinia is a brilliant one to try out. Grows very quick, burns very hot and splits and seasons well. Coppices good and is durable should you want to use it for anything other than firewood like posts, gates etc.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actively coppicing alder at the moment. Converting big trees into coppice stools although some have died after felling. Some have thrived and I'm not sure why. Luck? It's an ongoing project and I'm finding success with planting sun shoots in the spaces. Really enjoying the learning process with it. Great firewood but only grows in the wet here.

I'm currently clearing out our old pheasant pen which is a mammoth task and have decided to plant out a SC coppice as it's rare down here in devon although we have a few mature trees in the woods so I know it will grow. We have nothing of note that we can use for fencing stakes and I think that's silly. So I'm putting in an acre of SC so that I (or my boys) might have some material in the future. I'm also putting in a long strip of oak for coppice but that's a very log term deal and I guess I might see a fence as an old man one day.