vosa

markstuarttosdevine

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind a jot really, it is not me paying it, it's my customers and I'm sure they wouldn't mind contibuting to far safer roads as I wouldn't

After all how much would an mot be for a trailer? A small price to pay IMO

On one occasion out of four that my wife's horse lorry was stopped she was 50kg overweight. VOSA were human about it and told her to be more careful about weight, and even made some suggestions as to how she could avoid doing it again- they looked in her lorry and made basic suggestions such as not taking unnecesary kit with her etc etc. They also warned her to get a brake pipe sorted and gave her the GV9. No worries- a brake pipe corroded and slightly overweight. Fair play on the GV9 we thought. (It did cost her hundreds in missed appointments, but rather we found out like that than at the potential crash site!!!)

There were 3 other occasions, with a couple of contradictory (to themselves) findings, but the most ridiculous occasion was the last time, when they stopped her in her new lorry, went over it with a fine toothcomb and all they could find was one of eight pop rivets holding a small piece (about 12"x6") of cosmetic chequer plate was missing. They attempted to give her a GV9, but failed as the policeman who was with them pointed out how inordinately petty they were being and that it was a waste of everybody's time and money.

The only reason I posted this is that after reading what has pecome a rather petty, and heated, thread, I wanted to point out that yes VOSA are doing a worthwhile job, but also that yes, they can be petty, power crazed little tossers too. Like everything else in this world there is no single rule that fits all of us.

The way market traders get away with tacho exemption is pure class! The stock belongs to them, they unload it and sell some, load unsold stock back onto truck. Not for hire or reward!! Their trucks are an appalling state in general, dont carry out checks as directed and argue about everything they can! I dont work in enforcement but deal with commercial vehicles daily.

Just found this and one of the replies states how I see the dual purpose rules

Grumpy meets VOSA | Pitchcare Magazine

How do you take it?

I'm hoping that the forestry exemption still applies and does that cover firewood deliveries by trailer? Do i need to log my hours?

The trailer mot has been on the cards for a while, i have no problems with it but will we all need an mot on the 4th and where do we go, local garage or testing centre?

Sensible answers please i think we all need to know the facts not guesswork.

I would presume to try and stop white van man from driving for 23 hours in a day and only taking 45 minutes of breaks in that time.

Well if driving is their job then fair enough but I guess that the vast majority of 3.5 tonner drivers only do a couple of hours a day behind the wheel.

I would presume to try and stop white van man from driving for 23 hours in a day and only taking 45 minutes of breaks in that time.

So instead of having one decent service van and renewing it every 3 years I would be better of with two old wreaks with two different tachos.