County 1164 pto problem

bobh

Wow, just an amazing response from you guys, was hoping there might be one person who had some idea what I was talking about, turns out loads of you do and are quite willing to help.

Going to lay this out step by step in case it might help someone in the future.

Please note neither myself or owner are mechanics, this is just a record of what we did.

Start with a picture of the old girl

IMG_6946.jpg

So went back this morning armed with more info and striped the unit out again.

Unit in place

IMG_6947.jpg

To remove the unit we found it easiest to drain most of the oil off, then disconnect the hydraulic line that runs from the hydraulic pump to the control unit, easiest to get to at the pump end.

Then remove the 2 mounting screws that locate the unit, unscrewed from the outside. The control unit should then slide backwards and twist up to slide along the shaft, be careful not to kink the hydraulic hose as you rotate the unit.

The shaft can now be drawn out by removing the plate just above the pto at the rear of the tractor, once out you can remove the control unit and the clutch pack.

The control/valve unit removed, showing brake band attached.

IMG_6953.jpg

Clutch pack removed

IMG_6959.jpg

We noticed at this point that the clutch plates are stuck in the forward/engaged position.

Edited by bobh

Using a 2 legged G clamp and a few carefully placed blocks we compressed the main spring a little, enough to take the pressure off the circlip

IMG_6963.jpg

We then carefully eased off the G clamp so we could remove the spring

IMG_6964.jpg

This then allowed the clutch plates to be removed

IMG_6966.jpg

Followed by the piston (which needed a little persuasion)

IMG_6970.jpg

It was time to start cleaning and checking for problems

First and most obvious was the drum had a load of gunk in the back and the lower half of the splines were choked as well

IMG_6971.jpg

Cleaned the black gunk from the piston to find the outside seal (large O ring) was split in 2 places

IMG_6973.jpg

The clutch driving plate had a large split in it

IMG_6977.jpg

3 of the clutch plates were stuck together tried to free them with a small screwdriver, no luck, we could probably have used more force to get these 3 free but didn't seem worth it as they were going to be replaced anyway as several of the others were very worn

IMG_6976.jpg

That's pretty much it for now, new parts have been ordered.

The owners decided to buy a complete drum assembly for piece of mind.

Will complete the rebuild once parts arrive.

Any comments or advise welcome or if I've really messed up lets have a good laugh!

Bob

• Like 1

Looks like good work. Like the use of the 2 leg G clamp. Just check the oil pressure when you get it back together although the split piston seal has prob caused most of the trouble dont asume thats the only problem.Soak the new plates in fresh oil the night before rebuild. Good on ya for putting the pics up.

• 2 years later...

Hi Bob, I have a Ford TW-25 and my PTO stopped working. All other hydraulic functions are working and the visible linkages are all fine....I am wondering if an internal linkage may have come off or if their could be a blockage somewhere? I have been searching for info on the web and came to your post which shows me a valve located inside the housing. How much experience do you have with these systems? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

The brake band should not be that tight to adjust it properly you put the pto pack in the vice just to hold it,then put plenty of oil around where the band goes,this will represent being in the tractor covered in oil then put the band around pto pack attached to the pto valve,hold the valve in the 12 o'clock position then tighten the band so that it is just able to slide around the pto pack under its own weight.hope this helps.

Hi Justin

Wow that's an old thread! Had to re read it just to remind myself what I did.

Unfortunately if you've read the thread then you've read my whole expertise with these systems so I can't really help you I'm afraid, don't even know if the TW25 shares the same system as the county. If it does all I can suggest is get the top off the back end (on the county it was just a case of remove the seat and then unbolt the cover) and then just see what you can see, that's pretty much what we did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app