County 1164 pto problem

bobh

Hi All

Been up to my elbows in the back of a county 1164 all day, problem is the pto will not disengage. It runs when ever the engine is running.

Took the top off the rear axle and removed the lever, shaft, valve and clutch assembly.

Couldn't see anything wrong, oilways through the valve and clutch assembly were blown through with an airline and seem clear.

Rebuilt the whole thing and ran up the tractor with the cover off. The whole valve assembly is moving rearwards meaning the oilway between the valve and the clutch is not lining up, leading to oil pouring out between the 2.

Anyone got any ideas how to stop this? the valve isn't mounted on the side of the housing but merely sits on 2 locator pins could I just bolt it on without causing damage (I can't see why it isn't bolted but I guess Ford had a reason when they built it)

We THINK the rear end is a Ford 7610 but not sure could be a 5000.

As above, the oil you describe leaking is 'normal' and the problem lies with the pto brake band, these are tricky little blighters to get right, i would suggest your county is based on a 7610 rear end like you say. So getting the adjustment right is quite critical and i'm afraid without seeing it i couldn't tell you which is the right method as ford used several different variations which have little difference in working concept but different to setup. But a bit of head scratching and looking at it should work it out, they need to be surprisingly tight to prevent it rotating but not to tight it binds when running (the critical bit). Perhaps if u can get some pics on here i can see which it is!:biggrin:

hope this helps!

Will get some photos tomorrow.

Did adjust the band up today as I rebuilt it, when engaged it is tight enough to slightly change the engine note. Now wondering whether the clutch plates are siezed?

Tyz05 - The pto seems to be running at operating potential but haven't been able to get anything on the back to give it a try.

Starting to think along those lines myself

Tractor has just been purchased and new owner has told me it has been parked up for several months.

How easy is it to strip the clutch plates out, that spring looks like it could take your head off!

As far as I can make out from a search on the internet the early 1164's had ford 5000 back ends, this then changed to 7610 back ends at a latter date, possibly 1979.

The trouble we have with this one is it's never been registered so we have no idea of the age.

The condition is quite good considering it's spent it's life in the woods.