AA Guide to the Use of MEWPs in Arboriculture

Amelanchier

I reckon its cause he doesnt know how to use the controls so the other guy on the right has to go up with him, there in lies the problem. If you cant operate a MEWP you shouldn't be using it for work positioning, especially during rigging operations where work positioning is critical.

Dont know what the guide says, but in my humble opinion MEWPS should only be used for rigging operations by experienced climbers .

I have always found it easier with two in the bucket so long as the operator on the controls is competent, you can be looking ahead to where you want the bucket whilst the man on the controls is positioning it.

5976538f23c92_refusals20and20site20photos20023.jpg.87bd4505aee33dbd8849c360eb943c35.jpg

Chain brake used at all times whilst the saw is in the bucket, method agreed by both operators of work in bucket before starting work, ballistic trousers and jackets at all times.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know about anyone else, but I dont really share the opinion that mewps ARE safer. I've experienced problems with the operating levers on an older mewp, I've been on site when a mewp suddenly slewed and dumped down across a highway, Deans mewp doesnt enamour me to them either. Yes, it may be a fact that recorded accident figures,at the moment, are lower than climbing accidents, but for how long? As more and more mewp usage, for all trades, comes into play, then the figures will go up. How long before the H&S, the AA et al, then decide that it was safer to climb all along?

:dito:

What bothers me is suppose you or one of your your employees has an accident and the HSE turn up and say that you should have been in a mewp and give you agro. The fact that by the time you priced in the mewp and the traffic lights to go round it you would have been three times the price of everyone else probably would'nt bother them.

Andy, Leaving the RQ incident aside, do we know where these older/failing MEWPS are being sourced from ?

are they registered, are they 6 monthly LOLERed by certified personel.

Admitedly my bills are payed for, so I don't posses the same financial constraints as many on here possibly have, I would however go nowhere near a machine with out either of the above, as minimum.

Andy, Leaving the RQ incident aside, do we know where these older/failing MEWPS are being sourced from ?

Admitedly my bills are payed for, so I don't posses the same financial constraints as many on here possibly have, I would however go nowhere near a machine with out either of the above, as minimum.

Both companies who had the machines were very good on all equipment inspections/tests etc, but these events still occured. In the case where mine failed, it would not have done had it been a newer model. As it was an old model, mounted (professionaly) on a landy, it had no STOP button in the basket. A twig snagged in the exteral levers, forcing the down lever, down, with no chance of pulling it back up. As it powered down, forcing the bucket down into the hedgerow, it forced the leg ram back up tipping the truck over. My colleague couldnt open the door to access the interior stop button, so hit the button thru the side window with a fibre-glass rod. Following this, al these lifts were fitted with a bucket mounted Stop button, but could have been a very nasty accident. As for the incident where the cherry-picker slewed across the highway, I dont know the actual cause of this, as itwas a seperate company, and I wasnt privy to the details.

The Landy mounted was sourced from the local REC btw.

Once you get used to the machine you can operate it without looking at the controls.

I can operate mine with one hand without turning round to see what I'm doing.

One of the problems is the working envelope is reduce with two men, plus tackle. Then if you do cut and hold a branch, you have the weight of the branch suddenly adding to the equation when there may only be a few kilos short of the 200kg max, enough to trip the machine or even worse, tip it.

With one man in the basket you have a large margin for error

I was told on my 38 course that we have to justify not using one these days, and justify it properly. thanks to work at height covering so many different industries we have to go through...

1. can it be done from the ground?

2. from fixed raised platform (scaffolding)?

3. MEWP?

4. rope and harness last resort

thankfully ladders dont come into it.

as for justification, aparently cost and lack of trained operators are not sufficient. access, terrain, and actual job (having to gain access to inner crown) are good enough reasons not to use one.

fairly barking

Once you get used to the machine you can operate it without looking at the controls.

I can operate mine with one hand without turning round to see what I'm doing.

One of the problems is the working envelope is reduce with two men, plus tackle. Then if you do cut and hold a branch, you have the weight of the branch suddenly adding to the equation when there may only be a few kilos short of the 200kg max, enough to trip the machine or even worse, tip it.

With one man in the basket you have a large margin for error

Agree with all that.

You don't look at the controls when your driving a car do you?

I prefer to work in a basket by myself.

I think a mewp comes under puwer.!:confused1: