Coming to a county near you?

Crazy Cutter

I reckon an outfit the size CW pretty much have to use the KD system. It wouldnt be feasible to be holding that amount of timber for 1 to 2 years.

Imagine all the potatoe boxes or vented bags they would need. :scared1: Add in a few acres of tarpaulin and massive yard space, and KD starts to look very attractive. The fact that its more saleable and commands a higher price is icing on the cake.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is very interesting to me, having always done my own firewood off the farm, i'd never realised that there was a whole industry making and selling firewood, always thought there was a few supplying niche markets but not to the high level of what seems to be out there. Certaintly never thought you kiln dried firewood.......

I wonder where it will all end up in years to come, a few large scale producers covering the country hauling wood miles, or stay the same as we are now?:confused1:

Personally I would rather the waste heat be used for heating homes or growing crops but thats a different story

Indeed! However it's generated, the heat used in the kilns has a cost to it. A premium air-died or solar kiln dried product should carry as much if not more kudos than part-cooked logs.

this is very interesting to me, having always done my own firewood off the farm, i'd never realised that there was a whole industry making and selling firewood, always thought there was a few supplying niche markets but not to the high level of what seems to be out there. Certaintly never thought you kiln dried firewood.......

I wonder where it will all end up in years to come, a few large scale producers covering the country hauling wood miles, or stay the same as we are now?:confused1:

Flippin Tesco will be selling it in their forthcoming outdoor living range!

Flippin Tesco will be selling it in their forthcoming outdoor living range!

Ur not wrong there!!! They've just built a new huge one in a town called yate nor too far from here, and apparently its got a hairdressers, beauty saloon, and costa coffee in it!! :001_huh:

what if cw or another say a chinese company came over built 50 large sites to store and prosess wood , they could have 2 years woth sitting there a few thousand tons in at each site it could be done timber prices high and fuel wood low or bring it over by the ship load 60 thousand tons at a .

why are heartwoods using CW as their preferred customer to promote to local woodowners this is my biggest fear - as foresters and firewood merchants working in the midlands AND we are CLA Business Members - how come local woodlands asking for impartial advise from heartwoods will be steered towards this national company as against other local companies????

I thought Heartwoods was government funded and impartial - Have i got the wrong end of the stick on this??

what if cw or another say a chinese company came over built 50 large sites to store and prosess wood , they could have 2 years woth sitting there a few thousand tons in at each site it could be done timber prices high and fuel wood low or bring it over by the ship load 60 thousand tons at a .

they're gonna control the world soon....... every market every country!:001_huh:

It is working with Heartwoods in the West Midlands who have obtained funding to help woodland owners. Watch out the West Midlands here goes your cordwood price?

why are heartwoods using CW as their preferred customer to promote to local woodowners this is my biggest fear - as foresters and firewood merchants working in the midlands AND we are CLA Business Members - how come local woodlands asking for impartial advise from heartwoods will be steered towards this national company as against other local companies????

I thought Heartwoods was government funded and impartial - Have i got the wrong end of the stick on this??

I am not aware Heartwoods are working with CW more than any other of the small guys that get a look in at the firewood coming of sites. All heartwoods do is go in advise the woodland owner on what they could do with the woodland. They dont sell firewood, so its upto the individual owners who they sell to, which if your running a business is going to be the person offering the highest price. Heartwoods are helping to promote getting unmanaged small woodlands back into some management, if increased timber prices stimulates this then surely its a good thing. Its increasing the work for forestry contractors, as more woodlands will need managing. Certainly any sites I work on i try and get local guys to do the work, or the best suited contractors for the job. I also advise that a lot of the time its best to sell the timber standing as for large numbers of small woods owners, as its not often worth trying to manage felling, extraction and marketing seperatly on these sites.

Heartwoods isnt government funded, there is some government funding for specific projects but its largely funded by external funding such as environmental grants. There is no push at all to national companies, in fact its far from it. I havent read this article, but it sounds like its been worded badly, or certainly being misinterpreted from what is actually the case.