Old Skool Cool, or Ultra Modern?

Mr Ed

Old Skool or New Style?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Old Skool or New Style?

• Old skool cool!
    • Ultra Modern!

I did work with one guy who climbed on old XTC which was advanced rope for him, he did'nt even own a lanyard just used both ends of his rope. He never used slings either just tied a knot on everything. But by god he was fast and effcient!!!!

So I respect old school.

This is how everyone climbs where I work. Probably about a dozen guys; all on new england orange and white, prussiks and not a sling in sight.

I LOVE gagetry. I got a petzl pyrana today :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i guess i have a mix; mostly leaning towards knew school; especially for climbing. Rigging; i'd like to say olde school; i mean i like Natural crotch work; but i like my slings too. High friction supports i think work best for low impact rigging. But high impact rigging, with real weight i think 'newer school' works. Mostly to have more rope in system before major frictions (use pulley to have more rope length taking hit of impact) and allow running of line through Porty (friction and slip without burning) etc. Some of my high friction and rope sweating to pre-tighten, then laying load into line to pretighten more before tearoff; some say is new(er) school; but i accredit pre-mechanical ship worx for the techniques(which i consider kinda old school).

http://www.mytreelessons.com/Pages/Caught%20on%20Camera.htm

Too cool for school.

Seriously I'm a real mish mash- I play with all the new stuff and use it some but I'm very inclined to rig off natural crotches and use time tested techniques whenever I see no benefit in fancy tools and elaborate equipment set-ups. But.... I do like a V.T, slack tending pulley and a Pantin on my foot for most climbs.

I'm about the same as Stumper.

Part of my job is to keep up with new and developing equipment and techniques, so I have tried much of what is out there. But I often have work where there is no advantage to using all the bells and whistles, like Ed says. So I pick and chose as the day demands.

The down side to this is my gear bags are overly large and I'm always re-doing my harness and kit arrangements.

The guy that taught me climbs on a 2/1 taughtline.

I climbed on a 2 down 1 up taughtline for almost two years and never had an idea of other knots.

I use contemporary eye and eye hitches now.

Rigging and Wrecking it's always been straightforward as fast, low wear on equip. and safe as possible.