Best log burner for my circumstances?

doobin

Hi all,

I live in a rented, VERY draughty cottage. My hearth is just short of 32" wide. Ideally I would like a log burner to heat the room the hearth is in (the front room), the room next door and up the stairs leading off this room if possible.

Lining the chimney is a no-no- I'm simply not doing it, it'll cost a bomb and it's not my house. Will be sticking some straight flue pipe up the chimney as far as I can and installing a register plate.

So, what's the best log burner for my situation? Fed up of topping up the open fire every fifteen minutes.

Thanks chaps.

Tough situation as heat of any sort will probably accelerate the cold draughts passed you. It will be hot at source of heat but 8ft away you probably wont feel the benefit when its freezing. Therefore the bigger KW the burner = less effective.

If you dont intend living there long term sort some draught exclusion even cling film over the window frames as cheap double glazing. Stop up draughts best you can. It is handy to have an air intake supply near the fire to stop it dragging cold air across the room.

Probably best getting a small one max 8kw as a guess from your info. Not effective to heat other rooms in really cold spells no matter how big, The heat will just rush out and disappear.

Edited by Goaty
spelling

YOU ONLY NEED A SHORT PIPE IF YOUR CHIMNEY IS IN GOOD ORDER AND A REGISTER PLATE AND I WOULD ALSO CUT A HOLE TO ACT AS A SERVICE HATCH ETC JUST LEAVE A LOOSE PIECE OF STEEL PLATE OVER INSIDE OF HOLE TO KEEP IT BLOCKED OF ETC SO YOU DONT NEED TO MESS AROUND WITH DISTURBING FLUE PIPE RESEALING ETC WHEN YOU WANT TO DO ANY MAINTAINANCE

sorry about the caps lads

just to add i have a coalbrookdale severn 15 kw in a 25ft x 14ft room very overkill i know as i only needed a 5.5 kw but it was a recon for £400 bargain me thinks burns overnight no probs check my picture on left i cant get near for the dog lol

If you dont intend living there long term sort some draught exclusion even cling film over the window frames as cheap double glazing. Stop up draughts best you can. It is handy to have an air intake supply near the fire to stop it dragging cold air across the room.

No problem, I'll just open the cupboard next to the fire :laugh1: Seriously, it's bad!

Already have draught excluders fitted, and thick curtains over windows. What I'm looking for really is to improve fuel efficiency and to try to store some of the heat produced to radiate it into the room rather than straight up the chimney.

Any model suggestions?

Thanks

No problem, I'll just open the cupboard next to the fire :laugh1: Seriously, it's bad!

Already have draught excluders fitted, and thick curtains over windows. What I'm looking for really is to improve fuel efficiency and to try to store some of the heat produced to radiate it into the room rather than straight up the chimney.

Any model suggestions?

Thanks

if you dont want to spend a fortune on a stove look here

Natural Heating - Cast Iron Wood Burning & Multi Fuel Stoves. Flue Pipes & Chimney Liners

If you get a stove have a look at the metal fans that sit on them. One of my mates uses one and it's magic for shifting warm air around his cottage more effectively. I was skeptical but he swears by it, not at it.

Not that cheap though for what they are.

watch it with the liner thing

I think you need a liner or the house insurance is invalid

I may be wrong but building regs apply to log burners

Liner/air vent/ hearth size

It's crap isn't it

If you're going ahead anyway- I like big- basically means you can chop bigger logs which is less work:thumbup1:

If you get a stove have a look at the metal fans that sit on them. One of my mates uses one and it's magic for shifting warm air around his cottage more effectively. I was skeptical but he swears by it, not at it.

Not that cheap though for what they are.

If your going to get it fitted you will not be able to have the Sterling fan on top of your stove, it breaks regs! You can however by them still and if you choose to use it after you have your ticket then thats up to you.

watch it with the liner thing

I think you need a liner or the house insurance is invalid

I may be wrong but building regs apply to log burners

Liner/air vent/ hearth size

It's crap isn't it

If you're going ahead anyway- I like big- basically means you can chop bigger logs which is less work:thumbup1:

You may only need a liner if the flue is in poor condition. You will need an air vent though.