footlocking

monkey boy

i love footlocking. if you can grasp the hang of it,its very useful...i only use it a handful of times but so rewarding when u can cover alot of height in a very short amount of time

not that im an expert by any means but really useful to get someone to spot you watching your feet and finding your faults

secondly dont keep going right up the line to practice, your tire yourself really quickly, just practice getting a really good lock on your feet and extend your body as far up as you can without the hold slipping, once you nail that your be a flyyyinnn up

happy practicing :001_smile:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm not sure how to put this into words, but i tend to roll my body, a sort of momentum thing. if you don't it seems to be a two stage process, arms straighten, then legs. the faster you do it the more energy effcient it is. when you rest you lose all your momentum. then your f****d

if you've got the time just bang a line over a low branch and spend the day foot locking up and down without a harness.Obviously don't go too high. When I was learning a couple of days really allowed me to master it.

keep at it and dont give up.

V hard, but always funny.

Can make any good climber look a complete tool or very cool.

Never use it much so I'll refer to the former!:001_smile:

I agree cool trick.

Get your self some where to practise nice private nothing worse than blowing out of your arse when some smart arse wants to know what your up to, take the time to learn the tricks new and old school set your self apart no one else will do it for you :thumbup:

after 2 days of deadwooding large plane trees, im 100% convinced SRT(for access) is the way to go. if i had to footlock all of the trees i would of been knackered and not got all the trees done in the time schedule we had. go the srt.

after 2 days of deadwooding large plane trees, im 100% convinced SRT(for access) is the way to go. if i had to footlock all of the trees i would of been knackered and not got all the trees done in the time schedule we had. go the srt.

I would have used the SMT to gain access to the crown.

Single Mewp Tech for multiple deadwooding.

Just get out of the basket into the crown, do the job, back in and down, fresh as a daisy for the next

I would have used the SMT to gain access to the crown.

Single Mewp Tech for multiple deadwooding.

Just get out of the basket into the crown, do the job, back in and down, fresh as a daisy for the next

But is this clever use of Man and Machine cost effective?

Don't recall this technique being taught on me Cs 47 :sneaky2:

But is this clever use of Man and Machine cost effective?

Don't recall this technique being taught on me Cs 47 :sneaky2:

It's called applied technique and our industry is one of the very few where we have the skill and equipment to carry out such a manouvre.

I will never forget the look on the Small contracts managers face at the brewery where I work when I first applied this technique.

If I'd only had a camera

I should explain to be clear:

Get into the mewp, clip yourself in.

go into the crown and put in your cambium saver and anchor in with your big rope.

Come down in the basket to a level where the basket will be out of the way and pull yourself out of the basket on your big rope and release your basket anchor.

This is not a method taught, but I personally cant see any sfaety issues.

Do the job, back into the basket, anchor in and release and retrieve your main line

I should explain to be clear:

Get into the mewp, clip yourself in.

go into the crown and put in your cambium saver and anchor in with your big rope.

Come down in the basket to a level where the basket will be out of the way and pull yourself out of the basket on your big rope and release your basket anchor.

This is not a method taught, but I personally cant see any sfaety issues.

Do the job, back into the basket, anchor in and release and retrieve your main line

Yup! Done that, even as a 2 man operation. One man stays in basket and carry on doing whats possible from the basket, eg reduction, crownlift or clearing stems from epicormics. Either in same tree (different side of tree offcourse!) or in next/previous if in a row. Now THATS cost effective!:001_smile: