Yale Blaze

Vertical Lmit

as daft as it may sound, and someone might shoot me down for saying such a thing, but here goes.:shot:

if you measure your rope after you have milked it, im pretty sure it would be the same length as it was when you brought it.

1m of milking is not that much really.

if you milked a 60m rope you can get more..

Sorry for being a little late in jumping in....

Double braided ropes like Blaze have the inherent problem of core/cover slippage or milking. The Uiaa and EN standards both have a standard to meet to this regard (sheath Slippage) hence most of the recreational mountain climbing and static ropes are made with Kernmantle construction, this is where the core used twisted parallel yarns, this allows the core and cover to stretch in unison rather than at different rates.

With the double braid the core stretches more than the cover initially which then makes the cover go slack and milk down the line. Once this has happened the cover then locks back onto the core and you are set.

This was one major issue we had while producing our new ropes, obviously the 16 plait (Spark, XTC, Blue streak etc) all are cover dependent so you do not have this issue as the core is only there to keep the product round.

Donaghys also heat set all there ropes which shrinks the cover onto the core and prevents the rope from

The core Dependant lines like NRG, Fly etc all have Kernmantle cores so the are hard to splice but don't milk as much.

NE use a simple but old technology of inserting strands up the middle of the core to prevent it flattening under load hence helping the cover lock onto the core, they are use a coating to stop the slippage, this is best shown in Tachyon.

So in short it is the nature of the beast for the cover to milk on the Blaze, Being a manufacturer I would have expected our distributor to know this and have dealt with your issue better.

I can't say you have a faulty rope or not but as some of the other guys have indicated you should be Ok to cut the excess cover off the end and carry on using the rope with no problems.

Good luck sorting out you problem.

With a new rope that is likely to milk (a new one on me shows how long ago since I trained) whats the procedure to milk or de-milk it then :confused1:

The new england I was talking about if I hadn't destroyed it how would I go about "fixing" it so I wouldn't have to cut the eye off?

This is all new to me since I usually just use the Yale which is white with a yellow strip and I've never had a problem with it.

Run all the slack in the cover to the end without the spliced eye, cut off the excess cover, and heat seal the cut end.

You can milk the cover off by hand, just imagine you are milking a cow and you'll get the idea, or you can use a friction hitch to pull the excess down the rope.

You can milk the cover off by hand, just imagine you are milking a cow and you'll get the idea, or you can use a friction hitch to pull the excess down the rope.

Cheers for that, I have no imagination so I'll to go and find a cow to practice on :001_smile:. They are the big ones with rings through there noses aren't they?