Why no Toyota J40 type pickups in the uk?

blazer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 4.5 d4d manual with tipper body is somewhat sexual :) and 1300kg is about 4ish m3 with some decent springs on i bet you could fill it to the nines and it wouldn't even blink and whats more if you had barn doors on the back nobody would be none the wiser. I know a builder with a ford f150 and we went to the tip with some rubble and hardcore on the back and it had near 2 tonne on it and the springs hardly moved an inch!

• 6 months later...
conditions and how many people would pay more for one of them than a hilux. theres not many places in the uk or ireland a hilux wouldnt go if needed

gotta agree, i've been running a works vehicle 2008 Hilux double cab (2.5) and they are amazing, those import landcruisers are sminky but a bit OTT for some but I'd prefer one to a landy.

I spoke to a guy who works daily on most Toyota derivatives who told me few years back that LR and Toyota had a Gentlemans Agreement of sorts whereby Toyota didnt export some of their other models into the uk-thats why your unlikely to see many of the 70 series or HJZs around.

i guess this will end when they stop making 90's next year:thumbdown:

i don't actually loike the Hilux invincibles as they have too many bells and whistles and chrome/shiney bits, silly side steps etc. A Basic Hilux 2.5 with a locking rear diff is all i'd ever need. A proper 4 door double cab is gr8 too as the extra cab / club cab / space cab / cab and a half or what ever it's actually known as does not have those small suicide doors like the new Isuzu pickups and Ford Rangers have, as these make accessing your climbing kit on the back seat soooooooooo much easier.

I used to deal with a guy who imported brand new Lada Nivas from Russia

Under £10 k on the road

SPrayed with thick rubber on inside .....to keep noise down and make " hose out" to clean

**** on a long journey but very practical off road ---- was very tempted

Also dealt with guy who had trained drivers for oil companies todrive off road anywhere in the world

He reckoned he'd used pretty much every 4x4 made

Rated niva as very capable but rough

Also rated little suzuki with funny name, said it was actually designed by land rover ....said he'd seen one start on 25% inclined ice and just driven up it

Said some nissans were good but lacked ground clearance

There is some russian super tough niva ....will go anywhere but doesn't even have a heater, you have to put one of those petrol heaters in the back to survive in russia

Can't remember what else he said

Also had guy who imported hiluxes from thailand, found on delivery theydidn't have heaters (who needs heater in thailand)