Vehicle weights

YoGi_93

Just checked maximum authorised mass on the dvla website

It says max weight of vehicle or trailer but doesn't distinguish

What I mean is

Does this mean you can have a vehicle rated 3.5t GVW fully loaded(including everything) PLUS tow a trailer (up to 750kg on B and up to 7.5t on B=E)

VOSA overtook me the other day with a fully laden truck plus towing a chipper and didn't pull me over- though they may have taken pity......

There's definately some confusion on this one

There is nothing confusing as long as you realise that there are rules for what the vehicle can do and rules for what the driver can do.

Your vehicle can tow whatever the manufacturers have declared it at, this will have been arrived at through the construction and use (vehicle) regulations.

The driver can tow whatever their licence declares. Post 97 licence holders can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and with it tow a maximum of 750kg. If the towing vehicle has a lower MAM the trailer can be bigger but for the purposes of tree surgery it’s not particularly practical so I will stick with the upper limit on the towing vehicle.

Pre 97 licence holders can drive a vehicle up to 7500kg MAM and with it tow a trailer not exceeding 750kg. A smaller towing vehicle can tow a larger trailer as long as the entire MAM is no more than 8250kg This is called the gross train weight (GTW)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treequip I understand now yeah. So basically on my Cat B licence if the vehicle alone weighs 3.3 ton and I have half a ton of chip that is over the limit. I get it now.

I was un clear about dry or wet weight.

I can see how a cat C1 licence is really beneficial now!

So just to add a bit more confusion...if I was to upgrade my licence to C1 (vehicles 3500kg-7500kg) would a B+E licence still apply in that I can tow trailers over 750kg with a truck weighing over 3500kg?

Does that make sence? :confused1: probably not

Treequip I understand now yeah. So basically on my Cat B licence if the vehicle alone weighs 3.3 ton and I have half a ton of chip that is over the limit. I get it now.

I was un clear about dry or wet weight.

I can see how a cat C1 licence is really beneficial now!

So just to add a bit more confusion...if I was to upgrade my licence to C1 (vehicles 3500kg-7500kg) would a B+E licence still apply in that I can tow trailers over 750kg with a truck weighing over 3500kg?

Does that make sence? :confused1: probably not

Basically im wondering if I can tow a 1 ton trailer with a 4 ton truck if I have categories B+E and C1 on my licence. :001_smile:

Thanks

That makes it clear

We have been following other rules but I see the sense in what you say

I can now load my truck up fully to 3.5t (cabstar) plus tow a TW150

Previously I thought the 750kg had to be taken off the GVW meaning not much chip- would have been silly really

Dont forget to allow a little for the chipper nose weight.:thumbup1:

[Pre 97 licence holders can drive a vehicle up to 7500kg MAM and with it tow a trailer not exceeding 750kg. A smaller towing vehicle can tow a larger trailer as long as the entire MAM is no more than 8250kg This is called the gross train weight (GTW)

Just to add another small spanner into the works here assuming the thread owner has his answer.

I have a Disco 2, can tow from memory about 2.7 tons all up. Pulling that weight or a trailer capable of carring that weight as part of a buisness, ie for hire or reward does it need a tacho?. If so can I just keep a note of drivers hours in writing instead.

Thanks

A