3mm aluminium chipbox???

mattplace

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what grade of ally sheet were you suplied?, some are almost as hard as steel, 2024 for instance, especially in a t6 grade, and others in the 1100/1200 series are so "bendy" you could put dents in 3mm with your hands. just for a comparasion the "armour" plates om a c130 hercules to protect the body from ice particle off the props are an alluminium alloy, very tough!!!

yea that is looking awesome, are you welding the alli or just riveting?

Cheers mate... The aluminium angle is riveted and bonded to the steel frame, and the Ali sheet is bonded and fastened with nuts and bolts. It could have been riveted but it will look better with the bolts from the outside. Really, you don't need need any fasteners... The bonding adhesive is called 'ms polymer' and is super strong yet flexible... But for peace of mind, I put some fasteners in!

If you are going to rivet it, i wouldn't use normal pop rivets... They just aren't up to the job!

what grade of ally sheet were you suplied?, some are almost as hard as steel, 2024 for instance, especially in a t6 grade, and others in the 1100/1200 series are so "bendy" you could put dents in 3mm with your hands. just for a comparasion the "armour" plates om a c130 hercules to protect the body from ice particle off the props are an alluminium alloy, very tough!!!

It's 1050-H14, wish I could afford some high strength T6 but it costs a fortune in 3000x1500mm sheets!!

1050-H14 is what bodybuilders use for this kind of work. It is soft, but it shouldn't crack or corrode easily!

I am an aircraft engineer originally and you wouldn't believe the costs of some of the materials! The rivets I used were surplus from a job I did years ago in Belgium, and at $1 per rivet, I wouldn't want to be buying them!! :-)