Local Bristol paper

outdoorjoe

I have felled trees at the weekend to avoid getting a TPO slapped on them, they should have tried harder and got the other 13 down.

Their land, their trees.

Do these residents think that no trees were felled to make space for their houses?

:thumbup: i have to agree, she doesnt like every1 looking in, then plant some trees on her side of the fence . job sorted

I lived in Westbury on Trym until last year and I think I know which trees they are.

It is nice to see local people rallying together in a positive way about trees. However, nobody has done anything wrong in this situation!

I think there is a major flaw in the way TPOs are currently administered, not helped of course by the constant redundancies and cuts in the relevant departments.

TPOs are nearly all served in a REACTIVE manner - i.e. in response to a perceived threat. This is partly a fault with the legislation that talks about the 'expediency' of a TPO. However, in my opinion this is an arse about face way of protecting decent trees.

If councils undertook a better study, a landscape character assessment of sorts, that identified key species and specimens they would better preserve the visual amenity of treescapes in a pro-active way, instead of constantly reacting to whispers on the wind of proposed development, or applications to fell trees in Conservation Areas.

If the residents liked the trees that much before, why didn't they request the council to place a TPO on them before now?

I have felled trees at the weekend to avoid getting a TPO slapped on them, they should have tried harder and got the other 13 down.

Their land, their trees.

Do these residents think that no trees were felled to make space for their houses?

Exactly what i thought to be honest! a day and half and only 5 trees should have got a shift on.

Good point made re if they loved the trees so much why didnt they arrange a tpo before hand! they should look at the positives and get out there and plant some on their own land at least they have more control over them then!

Its odd, how poeple have only taken notice now that the trees have been felled that the whole village wants them back, if they had enough super glue, they are stood on the pile of woodchip, something to keep them occupied.

The advertising company has done nothing illegal because it owns the land and the trees and did not need permission to fell them.

surely this makes the story irrelevant, a company wanted some trees taken out that they owned and were not protected, so they were felled, not illegal, no toes stepped on, no point complaining now!

Mrs Findlay, 48, begged the tree surgeons not to cut them down because residents were so concerned, but said she was met with indifference. She said: "I made it very clear that we were worried about it and we didn't want them to go, but the man said, 'I have got a mortgage to pay'."

Thats as simple as it gets, the guy is trying to earn his living, we dont go into their shops and businesses and ask them to stop what they are doing because we dont want them to!

If the trees were so important to the village, why didnt they have a TPO on them already?

It's very clear that if people have trees that they particularly like then they need to think ahead and have TPOs in place before the tree fellers turn up. I guess it's something that people don't think about until it's too late.

In fact that has made me think. I'm a parish councillor and I'm going to bring it up at our next council meeting that we should carry out a survey to find the trees in the village that people particularly want to be protected. Thanks for the prompt!

Best wishes,

John Russell