Gloves

Mark Bolam

Winter is a comin', and I want to be prepared.

Can anyone recommend a pair of gloves that are seriously warm, but that you can still grip rope/open krabs with etc.?

Tried most things out there, but I have bad circulation in my hands. If it's cold and wet I've had to stop climbing a few times cos I literally can't feel my hands and things are getting unsafe.

Money no object really, cos if I can work one extra day because I find some wonder gloves they'll be paid for.

Any input appreciated. Cheers.

Winter is a comin', and I want to be prepared.

Can anyone recommend a pair of gloves that are seriously warm, but that you can still grip rope/open krabs with etc.?

Tried most things out there, but I have bad circulation in my hands. If it's cold and wet I've had to stop climbing a few times cos I literally can't feel my hands and things are getting unsafe.

Money no object really, cos if I can work one extra day because I find some wonder gloves they'll be paid for.

Any input appreciated. Cheers.

Poundland -builders gloves work well-get small size or Timberland climbers gloves £12- but v.durable ( Arbshop )

K

Mountain Equipment (Mountain Gloves) there are some on ebay reduced to £20 buy it now.

Good feel with rope and chainsaw. 100% waterproof and very warm and toastie ...even in extremes.

DO NOT hot or even warm wash, as the inner fleece will shrink and it will loose its waterproof properties. it is only therefore good for a couple of months. And do not put them in a tumble dryer.

But 20 quid well spent.

I've got the same problem. It usually takes me to climb at least one tree before I can start to feel my digits when its cold. When its dry I use a pair of microfleece liner gloves inside any pair of sticky gloves for grip and that tends to do the trick. For when its wet I have invested in a pair of sealskinz which are close fitting and 100% waterproof and quite warm. I dunked them in a bucket of water for a second or two and they really are waterproof but they do take a long time to dry out on the outside. They are breathable too so your hands don't get too clammy. The only trouble is they don't have any grip so to make them last I put a pair of builders sticky gloves over the top which can make them a bit stiff. I find all gloves have to come off when messing around with throwlines. I once paid £35 for a pair of gill extreme gloves and found that they just got wet and kept my hands cold so I'd be cautious about which type you get.

There's no easy answer to this one. Mountaineering gloves are warm and you can manipulate krabs and ropes easily but they are ment for cold dry condtions so don't wear well.

Seal skinz are good and you can get them with better grip levels now for winter climbing.

Personally I use the latex impregnated cotton gloves off ebay. If the weather is cack bin them off when they get wet and open a dry pair as they only work out at about 20p each and when climbing they'll keep your hands warm enough. No good for standing around in though !

some of the best gloves ive bought, not like the rubber covered as its impregnated in the cotton

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22273/Workwear/Protective-Clothing/Gloves/Perfect-Fit-Poly-Gloves-Black

Use to use the same. One of the guys i sub for bought a couple of boxes of them. Found they wore out too quickly IME... he never bought them again. At the moment I am using some from Arco cost 3.20 a pair but have been climbing in the for coming up 2 weeks now and still going strong.

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/14G4200/147421/Skytec_Idaho_FCT_3/4_Coated_Glove

or these...

http://www.bestvalsup.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PIP+34-AG581

but couldn't find a link for them from a UK supplier.