Investment

Chris Gagen

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might just be worth having a quiet word with trading standards. A local large wood pellet manufacturer had wood pellets tested by trading standards and was found to be using treated pallets so all his stock was classified as only being fit for Waste Incineration Directive approved boilers and was not allowed to sell to domestic users. Only place he could get rid of them was power generators at only quarter of his normal price. They have stopped using pallets and now only use virgin timber. Not saying this is the case here but it is far easier to chop up a pallet rather than mend it.

Now then, I've heard various accounts about domestically burning treated timber. I don't profess to know the answer, but I've always steered clear from treated stuff as it seems only to be expected that wood with additives is going to give off obnoxious fumes and or residues.

One source told me recently that treated timber is fine to burn "so long as it is dry". :confused1:

Also, how does the layman tell if any given piece of timber is treated or not?? I know freshly treated stuff is fairly obvious, but older stuff I can't ever say for sure:confused1:

The green stuff is tanalith. You cant burn it in a domestic stove. Most pallets will be treated as they cant enter china without being so and have marks on to indicate whats been used. There is now a new treatment which does not discolour the wood but gives it a slightly more yellow appearance. There is a huge ro ro skip less than 2 miles away and we are welcome to take it all. But its no use what so ever so it all goes to land fill. All these treatments are harmfull to the human body in lots of different ways if burn or the ash is spread on your veg patch.

The treated wood should have a stamp or to on it or it will be refused into the country unless the forwarding company pay to have it fumigated. If you want I can try and remember to take a pic or two tomorrow at work. As that's what I do for a living at the moment building crates ect. Most wood I believe is only heat treated for so long to kill off the nastys I think.

what i presently kindle is waste from staircase manufacture. kiln dried untreated timber for interior joinery. fantastic quality, seldom any knots at all in the yellow pine, and mostly straight grained. the main problem with it is a lot of it is silly shaped off cuts, lots of wedges and skeleton frame cut outs from cnc machining.

some of the stuff here is green in colour too ted, but some treated timber i've bought from builder's merchants for construction i've had to double check with them that it IS treated as it looks plain.

I'd heard the main problem was with the ash as well steve, but it seems some folks have differing views, one major buyer/supplier of kindling wood i spoke to was perfectly happy to receive treated pallet wood kindling so long as it was dry!

guss, thanks for the offer, but i'm not too worried as will be only kindling stuff that i'm 100% sure is untreated. besides, once a pallet is dismantled, surely they'll be no markings as not every single piece of wood is stamped is it? just the blocks i've seen marked in the past.

Unfortunately trading standards and the environment agency do not need markings on the timber to verify whether it is treated or not. They will just test a sample and if found to be contaminated they have the power to down grade your stock to WID appliances only and will expect disposal records from WID approved sites to prove you have safely disposed of the contaminated waste wood.

Well folks, hope I've done right...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Negotiated down to £9600 after auction finished. (2 other interested parties also)

Includes existing customer database, and free pallet waste wood.

I'm expecting to be able to sell the pallet dismantlers and possibly the heat sealer as I already have a good one of them.

Nice and local to me so having his customers should work out nicely...

Oh, and yes I do know the price of a new kindlet thanks.:biggrin:

Nice one Chris, looks like an excelent set-up, any chance of some cheap kindling :laugh1:

Unfortunately trading standards and the environment agency do not need markings on the timber to verify whether it is treated or not. They will just test a sample and if found to be contaminated they have the power to down grade your stock to WID appliances only and will expect disposal records from WID approved sites to prove you have safely disposed of the contaminated waste wood.

But he is not using pallets so all is good?:001_rolleyes: