When are Planes nasty??

skyhuck

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did a lot of planes while in Rome but i never had any bother with the leaves (never noticed any hairs on them, Maybe a different species) The seed pods on the other hand are a nightmare and if your crashing big limbs to the ground, then the pods have a tendency to explode (slight exaggeration, lets just say burst) and throw the hairs everywhere. Not so bad if your in the tree but for the groundies its not nice. They are ok when green but when brown and dry they are horrible:thumbdown:

We do them a bit and we have one in Henley-on-Thames to do on Wednesday. We usually push to have any works done in the winter though every so often the client wants it doing sooner, so there is a premium on it.

The leaves and the seed pods are, as was said above, horrid. Whether you are working in the canopy or on the ground.

We use pretty good goggles that completely seal the eyes and top notch disposable masks. Of course, when the leaves are on it's usually warmer so it's doubley obnoxious.

Suffer the heat and sweat and do try not to take off the mask and goggles whilst in the tree and use an airline or blower to clear yourselves off before doing so. Also check the radiator on the chipper periodically as it gets blocked quite quickly with the fine hairs.

Be carefull using 'airline's on clothes whilst wearing them - loadsa regs on this one. OK I have done it many times just keep the nozzle well away from skin.

Glad I'm not the only one using these masks, although I use mine to filter CO fumes working in low air-flow situations but communication can be a problem.:sneaky2:

Did the Planes on Wednesday, I bought a couple of paper masks (the ones with the valve that lets you breath out freely) and so goggles.

The goggles were OK for the first 20 minuets, but as soon as we were sweating they steamed up so badly that it was dangerous, so we gave up with them. Our eyes were a little itchy by the end of the day but nothing major.

The masks worked very well and we were both fine, with no coughing.

At lunch time you could see all the hairs stuck to the windscreen and in little piles on the wipers.

Todd was fine about wearing the mask and goggles, but was more than a little alarmed when I told he that we had to "blow each other off at the end of the job":001_huh:

I've been asked to price for the pruning of some Planes, I know at times they can have a very nasty affect on our respiratory system.

Is it just in the spring?? or other times of the year??

If I'm going to be coughing my guts up I want to a hefty price in :sneaky2:

We don't have that many Planes up here so my experience is some what limited.

Cheers :001_smile:

Dear 'Mr Huck', hope yer well!

See attached if it's of any use.

Take care out there..

Paul

PS THe other thing, Plane related, to be wary of are the effects of Massaria as this can serious weaken branhces making the prone ot give way under a climbers weight....not you tho bein 'mean n lean' (tee ...)

London Plane info.doc

London Plane - generic.doc