Who pays for damage?

Peter

other thing i hate is when you get the blame for something that is not your fault :damnmate:

other day i was splitting/cutting logs whilst one of the bosses reversed into the chipper drawbar and smashed the lights on the tranny but seeing he had his radio on so loud he did not even hear it happening and i was a good fifty foot away (plus he didn't even notice the chipper slewing one way ) so shouted at him to stop and he got out and looked lots of swearing etc other day other boss saw the lights and asked what happened and i said what did and i got bollocked for not watching him back ??????????

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay for all accidental damage on the site. However if things are broken through stupidity or negligence then it's different. I have charged staff for things before but seldom

is that because its usually you who breaks things

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a issue at work recently, there is a guy on our firm that has had a run of bad luck hes a foreman on one of the gangs and carries the responseablity for his crews mishaps too realy feel for his situtation.If someone is a subcontractor working for a firm then your paying a premium for there service and thay should carry the liabilty (thats how it is in the building game) on the other hand employees don't earn as much and in many cases struggle to buy and maintain there personal kit and the employers mark up on the hourly rate should cover the rare occaisnal damage but if guys are regulaur damagers then you should be asking yourself why you employ this person ?? is more education needed etc etc :cussing:

I was watching contractors from a large well known company, dismantle five mature Chestnuts along a street recently.

Intruigued, I spent half an hour sitting in my van comparing our techniques to theirs.

It has to be said that Climber and Crew were more than competent

There was however no serious rigging involved.

Within that time, a fence panel, a second storey window and their own chipper were damaged.

I went over and introduced myself to the supervisor, and he quite happily told me that the " collateral damage would be paid for by his company as we were here to SHOW ME THE MONEY ! "

It now has to be said that i work for a large LA (name withheld) where collateral damage is definately not tolerated, obviously due to the very nature of trees and their ongoing potential for structural failure we have incurred rare but occasional damage to property, which our employers pay for.

The level and frequency of damage is noted and training NPTC 41 etc is given where nessecary.

Should collateral damage really be tollerated?

Fellow brethren, what really are your views?

Bt Lines. If the wire is through the tree on private property Bt usually remove it FOC. If not and we have to pay, then out comes the screwdriver. Had a few nips on the tongue finding the live wires though.lol.

PS, if you find a friendy BT engineer, croos his palm which pitures of the queen (not stamps) and you can aquire some fancy little water proof joining gadjet. Stick wires in,out with the fag lighter and hey presto.

As for damage to fences etc, we usually work out wether it's cheaper to knack the panel or remove it first.Most customers accept that there may be some damage to lawns etc. What pi**es me off is when you spend hours dismantling a monster,miss the house,shed and greenhouse and some bitch goes barmy because you snapped the flower head of some plant that was bought for her birthday yonks ago by her spotty faced sprog thats probably going to be the next prime minister.

Hey, we think we have bad days, just seen papers, some video of a royal in a sex act, and mention of envolopes with white powder, two blaggers and a ransom. Hehe. have a nice day

It has to be said that Climber and Crew were more than competent

There was however no serious rigging involved.

Within that time, a fence panel, a second storey window and their own chipper were damaged.

I'd question that first sentence..if they did that much damage, are they competent?

provided its not a common occurance my boss will pick up the tab for smaller items nowt said aftr the initial rant. for bigger things he runs a 'you bend it you mend it policy'. he will cover the cost of teh repair you work for free on it. i had to take a sunday out to repair a wheel and tyre. i meant to keep the 200t bar that i bent a large chunk pinched it and bent the bar and chain 90 degrees. he was cool, climbing saws are abused a bit more than ground saws

Jamie