The Irton Beech Protest

scotspine1

In my opinion; too many people with feet firmly embedded under work desk, unwilling to look at options other than felling said tree bacause that involves doing something for their wage other than keeping that spot under previously mentioned desk, warm. Pipe and slippers brigade. Seen lots of them through the years. Get to a stage where it's just way too difficult to actually do their job and way to difficult for their managers to actually make them do there job because they also have their feet under the desk. I could be wrong though.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like two reports done, Barnes - arb ac registered consultant, and oca, part of 'landscape planning group' - as far I can tell not registered. They both have said fell. Surprising really, with the budget and inclination just about any tree can be made to stay in this sort of situation. Hard for anyone to pass judgements without seeing it all first hand though. Be a real shame if it does go. As has been said, walls can be moved/engineered, spaces left. Roots will exploit sewer/drain defects not cause them - so replace the faulty section. Beech mainly surface root, so ideal candidate for properly designed and installed root barriers? Road view restrictions, place a mirror. Bird droppings, seriously? Live with it! Or put a canopy over your car, resite your wash line!

If it was a tree queen Elizabeth years ago had lunch under and expressed a fondness for, a way of retention I'm sure would be found. Why is cultural heritage valued more than ecological value and opinions of other locals? Most people I'm sure would rather it stayed given the option, well why is there no other option if they were going to spend so much anyway?!

Just my two pence, feel free to disagree and fell it, repeat with some whips, then in years to come build next to them and fell them as well. Why do we need any trees over 100 years old anyway, they're just an eyesore with dead bits :sneaky:

Some bloke sitting in the tree won't make any difference in the long run. There was a situation like this near my mums a good few years back - whole gang of "eco warriors" (who always seem to make more mess than anyone else!) living in a 300 year old tree. They were there for 15 months - and guess what - the site now has new homes on it...

No idea how much taxpayers money went into the "removal" but wouldn't have been cheap I guess!

Digging in - Alfreton - Mansfield and Ashfield Chad

Andy

Ok there are pictures in The Mail today and a back story, Firstly not much of a tree, hardly a veteran, and clearly going to cause problems in the future.

Secondly and ,I think, more relevantly the people who want the tree removed are outsiders who have applied to build houses, incurring the wrath of the locals.

I would be interested if anyone out there thinks this tree looks 100years old.

One way to find out!

Ok there are pictures in The Mail today and a back story, Firstly not much of a tree, hardly a veteran, and clearly going to cause problems in the future.

Secondly and ,I think, more relevantly the people who want the tree removed are outsiders who have applied to build houses, incurring the wrath of the locals.

I would be interested if anyone out there thinks this tree looks 100years old.

One way to find out!

:confused1: Who said it was a "veteran"???????? veterans are generally well over 100.

In the picture I saw it was a nice mature Beech, that could be 100 years, maybe less but saw what???????

North Yorkshire County Council and an Arb Association Registered Consultant, they both think this tree needs to be removed urgently due to it's potential to push the wall and its roots ingressing into to a sewer drain. NYCC have spent £250,000 in legal fees to get this tree felled.

Interested to know how many people here (firewood suppliers not included :biggrin:) think this tree needs to be removed urgently?

1290967935.jpg.7a1b471b1b5ef223ef19bb49c3fb7018.jpg

Edited by scotspine1

:confused1: Who said it was a "veteran"???????? veterans are generally well over 100.

In the picture I saw it was a nice mature Beech, that could be 100 years, maybe less but saw what???????

By saying a tree is 100 years old it evokes more sympathy than if you said 60 or 70. anyway it looks to me like it is about to outgrow its space and after all an AA approved consultant has recommended its removal, and the owners (nycc) want it, thats enough for me. ps I have exclamation marks aswell and I am not afraid to use them!!!!!!!????????:lol:

an AA approved consultant has recommended its removal

big deal, the consultant was being paid by North Yorkshire County Council, how objective was his report? any halfwit can say the tree needs removed because it will eventually begin to interfere with the wall.

an imaginative arb consultant would've suggested practical solutions, not 'fell tree'

big deal, the consultant was being paid by North Yorkshire County Council, how objective was his report? any halfwit can say the tree needs removed because it will eventually begin to interfere with the wall.

an imaginative arb consultant would've suggested practical solutions, not 'fell tree'

Well it seems the people of Irton could not find one.