Late payments?

Heads up

Before you take the advice of "Get what you can but look for other work" etc, why not just have a chat with him?

His excuse of not getting paid until he does is a crap/poor one but have you really talked about the payment problem or just had a quick passing word?

If he says thats the way its going to be you can easily make a decision on whether to move on or not but if in general the work and money is good then it is surely worth coming to some agreement.

FTW I never owe anyone anything, ever. They get paid at the end of the week or the end of the job depending on the situation.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I can't stand!!!!:thumbdown:

And that why I don't do business in the way you describe!!!!!

If some one does work for me, they get paid, simple.

I cannot go bust, I could stop working and close my business, but I would never not pay my way.

As far as I'm concerned my contract is my client, whether I get paid by them is between me and them, its not anything to do with subies, their contract is with me, no one else, so I pay them straight away.

I did a site clearance job where the builder went bust, my subbies got paid (at the end of the week when the job was done) even Stumpbusters got paid, because they were working for me. But I got nothing, that job cost me time and money, but thats business.

Subbies make me money, I get more out of every job than they do, so why should they subsidies my business by taking late payment???

Im just saying that some people i deal with operate in a different way to you. I pay all my subbies on the day or as soon as i have an invoice in my had, cheque or BACS. I decided to explain that some operate in that way during financial hard times as i have been at the receiving end. All you seem to want to do is slam me down rather than understand that im merely saying that people run their business differently to you as they decide. Its too easy to push that one person runs there business like this and all the others who don't are wrong.

I did it wrong for years and convinced myself with hundreds of diferent reasons WHY folk didnt pay me becasue it was easier than accpeting the truth.:thumbdown:

I turned my business round after a 2 hour meeting with someone who knew how to run a business. I got out my overdraft that i was in for years with in 6 weeks and have not had 1 since and that was 5 years ago:thumbup:

it sounds to me that you are not willing to accept you or others are doing it wrong.:001_smile:

I did it wrong for years and convinced myself with hundreds of diferent reasons WHY folk didnt pay me becasue it was easier than accpeting the truth.:thumbdown:

I turned my business round after a 2 hour meeting with someone who knew how to run a business. I got out my overdraft that i was in for years with in 6 weeks and have not had 1 since and that was 5 years ago:thumbup:

Not saying that at all. If i haven't been paid within 28 days they get and 10% raise in total bill value as laid out in my terms, 14 days after that i send my final reminder recorded delivery then its off to the ombudsman then Small claims court. By hiring me they accept my terms. Ask Frosty and Testcricket01 how quickly i pay them after completing work. I've had my business debt free now for 2 years sometimes working 2 jobs to save up to buy stuff, granted im not interested in being big, just earning enough to live and have a life.

I like to point out other sides in threads as its easy for everyone to go down one and on the war path. Just like to be able to give as much info and my experience in working with other companies so theres no shock when a subby works for whoever and doesn't get paid for a month.

I like to point out other sides in threads as its easy for everyone to go down one and on the war path. Just like to be able to give as much info and my experience in working with other companies so theres no shock when a subby works for whoever and doesn't get paid for a month.

But you are also making some think its acceptable to pay people late and take on work that they cannot afford to finance and run the risk of going bust and leaving people out off pocket.

you are taking this all wrong, i am not questioning your payment methods for your subbies.:001_smile:

I am questioning your own payment terms from others.

You must have the same rule for 1 as the other or you will end up with a cash flow problem. I am saying this in an advice way, not critical if it comes across that way to you. I am either a poor translater or you are defensive, you choose.:001_rolleyes::001_cool:

But you are also making some think its acceptable to pay people late and take on work that they cannot afford to finance and run the risk of going bust and leaving people out off pocket.

People run their business how the choose and that's up to them. Im not saying its acceptable or wrong just it is what it is. People should ask about getting paid before saying i can do it. I took on some National trust work i asked about payments 30 day via bacs with 15% held back as a guarantee of work completion to ensure that the poisoned stumps don't regrow and if they do i must go re apply chemicals then the site is re-checked 6 weeks later then the 15% is released. Now i know a lot of people i know wouldn't take it on but its clearly stated. So when i get a cheque for 3/4 of the job i know why.

you are taking this all wrong, i am not questioning your payment methods for your subbies.:001_smile:

I am questioning your own payment terms from others.

You must have the same rule for 1 as the other or you will end up with a cash flow problem. I am saying this in an advice way, not critical if it comes across that way to you. I am either a poor translater or you are defensive, you choose.:001_rolleyes::001_cool:

Neither, were both making points its making this thread all the better as were covering 'All' those 'Grey Areas' that can appear. At least people will be able to read this thread and hopefully be able to approach there situation better.

I have a rule of always pay your debts fast. I can't help it if a commercial contractor wants 28 days to pay me or someone wants to hold a retainer on a cutting job. I cannot say to them i pay my debts fast you pay me fast, where i live i wouldn't get the work. :thumbdown:. I don't float my buisness with subbies money either as i have a strong value of thats not my money its for them attitude.

People run their business how the choose and that's up to them. Im not saying its acceptable or wrong just it is what it is. People should ask about getting paid before saying i can do it. I took on some National trust work i asked about payments 30 day via bacs with 15% held back as a guarantee of work completion to ensure that the poisoned stumps don't regrow and if they do i must go re apply chemicals then the site is re-checked 6 weeks later then the 15% is released. Now i know a lot of people i know wouldn't take it on but its clearly stated. So when i get a cheque for 3/4 of the job i know why.

Thats fine but in my opinion you should only take on that job knowing you can pay all the expenses and wages without the need for the fee for the job first.

Are you going to retain 15% of the subbies fee if he was the one that applied the chemicals?

People run their business how they choose is wrong. They should adhere to rules one of those being do not run insolvent.

Thats what I can't stand!!!!:thumbdown:

And that why I don't do business in the way you describe!!!!!

If some one does work for me, they get paid, simple.

I cannot go bust, I could stop working and close my business, but I would never not pay my way.

As far as I'm concerned my contract is my client, whether I get paid by them is between me and them, its not anything to do with subies, their contract is with me, no one else, so I pay them straight away.

I did a site clearance job where the builder went bust, my subbies got paid (at the end of the week when the job was done) even Stumpbusters got paid, because they were working for me. But I got nothing, that job cost me time and money, but thats business.

Subbies make me money, I get more out of every job than they do, so why should they subsidies my business by taking late payment???

Gissa job, Dave :biggrin: